What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #6,756
collinsmark said:
You probably wouldn't like Irish (style) bacon then. Irish bacon is essentially a thickish slab of soggy, almost gelatinous meat. I'm guessing most American's wouldn't even recognize it as "bacon." [Edit: Also, it's traditionally boiled, rather than fried, if you can imagine that.]

Oh, and don't get me started about the "pudding."
Pudding? I am assuming bloody, right? I mean literally. And then there are other variants like Canadian bacon, which I understand it's just ham. Unless I missed something.

Likes collinsmark
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #6,757
WWGD said:
Canadian bacon, which I understand it's just ham
Centre cut pork loin.

Likes WWGD
  • #6,758
Keith_McClary said:
Centre cut pork loin.
'Centre'? How about 'Defence'? 'Behaviour'? I thought it was a Brit thing.

• #6,759
1618007723946.jpeg
1618007858463.jpeg
1618007787219.jpeg
Nd9GcTzRKACr3LhQ42HxwKG-KnLC2SXBGfAVKKY7Q&usqp=CAU.jpg
Nd9GcSeTAz544pKzBU-sF5WTRc4LLeq7zGgxmDSvw&usqp=CAU.jpg
This is all bacon. Of course, we have varying names for them ("Speck", "Bauchspeck", "Schinkenspeck", "Speckwürfel"), not just "bacon". If you want to buy the American version, then you have to look for "Bacon":
mOo0iXuW9h102VF8I-9FByu4x7ybkByOhaKAcNS_y&usqp=CAc.jpg

Likes WWGD
  • #6,761
WWGD said:
'Centre'? How about 'Defence'? 'Behaviour'? I thought it was a Brit thing.
I guess Canadians are pragmatic people. Why learn two words (French / English) if one alone does the job?

• #6,763
fresh_42 said:
View attachment 281217 View attachment 281219 View attachment 281218 View attachment 281220 View attachment 281221This is all bacon. Of course, we have varying names for them ("Speck", "Bauchspeck", "Schinkenspeck", "Speckwürfel"), not just "bacon". If you want to buy the American version, then you have to look for "Bacon":
View attachment 281222
I can imagine myself going catatonic on a bacon-family tour of Germany. What's the emergency phone number, so I can include it on my next trip planning ? Edit: I will keep a card in my pocket for the ems rescue services saying:" Please help. It's probably just bacon poisoning" in German.

• #6,764
WWGD said:
I can imagine myself going catatonic on a bacon-family tour of Germany. What's the emergency phone number, so I can include it on my next trip planning ?
112. But Americans' reaction to German food is usually positive. I haven't met one who didn't like it.

• #6,765
fresh_42 said:
112. But Americans' reaction to German food is usually positive. I haven't met one who didn't like it.
True, but if I eat a kilo of bacon daily it will start poisoning me at some point. Edit: That is what I meant. I intended to go on a bacon-family rampage eating tour of Germany, eating it at every meal.

Last edited:
  • #6,766
fresh_42 said:
But Americans' reaction to German food is usually positive.
The warm potato salad was a surprise, but it was loaded with bacon.

Likes fresh_42
  • #6,767
How do I get myself out of this exchange:
" How can sets A,B be disjoint if they both contain the empty set?"
It's been going on for a while.

• #6,768
Keith_McClary said:
The warm potato salad was a surprise, but it was loaded with bacon.
Do they eat fries too, or is that just a fast food thing? I like the ones with melted cheese and sauteed onions, but don't remember their name. Haven't been to a Rathskellar in a while.

• #6,769
WWGD said:
How do I get myself out of this exchange:
" How can sets A,B be disjoint if they both contain the empty set?"
It's been going on for a while.
"I like to say that (the elements of) the empty set have purple eyes." stressing that any statement about (the elements of) the empty set is automatically true.

Likes Klystron
  • #6,770
fresh_42 said:
"I like to say that (the elements of) the empty set have purple eyes." stressing that any statement about (the elements of) the empty set is automatically true.
I gave up on it when it came down to "It depends on what is is". Now I will just go on to eat something made of potatoes, cheese and bacon , to forget the whole thing.

Likes fresh_42
  • #6,771
Fresh,
Now that we're in the topic of food. Do you do much in terms of melted cheese? Its one of my favorites; melted cheese of different sorts. It seems maybe something more from the Americas than a European thing?

• #6,772
Wow, PFs auto correct seems of much better quality than others I have run into.

• #6,773
WWGD said:
Fresh,
Now that we're in the topic of food. Do you do much in terms of melted cheese? Its one of my favorites; melted cheese of different sorts. It seems maybe something more from the Americas than a European thing?
Depends on the food, the region, and personal taste. You can find Cordon Blue on many cards
330px-Cordon-bleu-2.jpg

and I once said: "I eat everything as long as it is gratinated with cheese." Greek food has sheep cheese, and the entire country is full of small pizzerias which have plenty of melted cheese in many variants. I think the biggest difference is, that we have many more individual small restaurants than franchises. You will find a Pizza Hut, but you will probably pass several real Italian pizzerias on your way.

Likes WWGD
  • #6,774
fresh_42 said:
Depends on the food, the region, and personal taste. You can find Cordon Blue on many cardsView attachment 281258

and I once said: "I eat everything as long as it is gratinated with cheese." Greek food has sheep cheese, and the entire country is full of small pizzerias which have plenty of melted cheese in many variants. I think the biggest difference is, that we have many more individual small restaurants than franchises. You will find a Pizza Hut, but you will probably pass several real Italian pizzerias on your way.
How about Das Taco Bell or other Mexican?

• #6,775
WWGD said:
How about Das Taco Bell or other Mexican?
I don't know any, but I checked a small sample. 14 Mexicans in Frankfurt (M), none of which is a Taco Bell. Besides McDonald's and Burger King there are mainly individual restaurants, including more and more burger restaurants where you can get a hamburger that deserves the name. And of course, there is always the Hard Rock Cafe in bigger cities.

Likes WWGD
  • #6,776
When I was in high school, there was a German foreign exchange student who would load up his pizza with ketchup and mustard. I've always wondered if this was normal in Germany? . I even tried it to see, and he was right it does a taste ok in the context of concessions stand pizza.

• #6,777
I'd like to go to a fancy place, order a specialty dish and then ask for ketchup. A lot of ketchup. Generic stale joke.

• #6,778
Jarvis323 said:
When I was in high school, there was a German foreign exchange student who would load up his pizza with ketchup and mustard. I've always wondered if this was normal in Germany?
´Definitely not! That sounds awful! And I have never seen it. I hope my favorite Italian would kick out such a customer. 'Tastes good' is not transitive!

• #6,779
Jarvis323 said:
When I was in high school, there was a German foreign exchange student who would load up his pizza with ketchup and mustard. I've always wondered if this was normal in Germany? . I even tried it to see, and he was right it does a taste ok in the context of concessions stand pizza.
But the issue of pineapple in pizza is considered to be a religious one, so not allowed in PF.;).

• #6,780
fresh_42 said:
´Definitely not! That sounds awful! And I have never seen it. I hope my favorite Italian would kick out such a customer. 'Tastes good' is not transitive!
Reminds me of an ad that went along: caramel is good, pools are good, but pools filled with caramel are not good. Great ad, except I don't remember the proud t that was being advertised.

• #6,781
WWGD said:
But the issue of pineapple in pizza is considered to be a religious one, so not allowed in PF.;).
We call it Pizza Hawaii, usually with boiled ham. The critical ingredients here are capers and anchovys.

Likes Keith_McClary
  • #6,782
fresh_42 said:
We call it Pizza Hawaii, usually with boiled ham. The critical ingredients here are capers and anchovys.
I wonder if the wife of Bon Jovi is called Ann...( Ann Jovi)Edit: But she's most likely the wife of Pete Za.

• #6,783
WWGD said:
I wonder if the wife of Bon Jovi is called Ann...( Ann Jovi)
Dorothea. Daughter Stephanie.

• #6,784
fresh_42 said:
Dorothea. Daughter Stephanie.
Pardon the pun: Ann Giovi= Annchovy
And Pete Za==...

• #6,785
WWGD said:
Pardon the pun: Ann Giovi= Annchovy
And Pete Za==...
I got it. I was curious myself and have imdb on my bookmark bar, so it was easy to look up.

• #6,786
fresh_42 said:
I got it. I was curious myself and have imdb on my bookmark bar, so it was easy to look up.
Imdb?Didn't know he was an actor too. Are txhey even still playing? Seems like a modern phenomena these bands playing with members that are 50-60+. Nothing wrong g with it, just seems a recent thing.

• #6,787
WWGD said:
Imdb?Didn't know he was an actor too. Are txhey even still playing? Seems like a modern phenomena these bands playing with members that are 50-60+. Nothing wrong g with it, just seems a recent thing.
I remember him from an episode of Ally McBeal. But imdb has a soundtrack category, so chances are high that you find musicians, too.

• #6,788
fresh_42 said:
I usually balance it off with extra cheese and jalapenos. I don't think the local franchises do capers.

• #6,789
hmmm27 said:
I usually balance it off with extra cheese and jalapenos. I don't think the local franchises do capers.
I 've seen versions of pizza without cheese, for vegans. Let's just say it did not improve the odds of my becoming a vegan.

• #6,790
hmmm27 said:
There is a market for pizza with pineapples here. You can even buy them frozen. I suspect that this has to do with WWII, and a German tv cook in the 50's or 60's, and his invention to make people dream in the years after war: (he called that Toast Hawaii)

1618082394240.jpeg