What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 759K views
WWGD said:
You'd be surprised that some channels, I think ESPN included, has fishing shows where someone is filmed while just doing some fishing.
Those have been around forever. They are one of my main arguments against solipsism. I have serious doubts that, even in its most deranged state, my mind would have ever come up with TV shows where you watch others fish. (And this is from someone who done some fishing in his time.)
 
  • Haha
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: OmCheeto, collinsmark and WWGD
Physics news on Phys.org
Janus said:
Those have been around forever. They are one of my main arguments against solipsism. I have serious doubts that, even in its most deranged state, my mind would have ever come up with TV shows where you watch others fish. (And this is from someone who done some fishing in his time.)
How about chess matches? (Maybe with cheerleaders, as in SNL?) That would add to the proof, put a nail in the coffin for me.
 
WWGD said:
How about chess matches? (Maybe with cheerleaders, as in SNL?) That would add to the proof, put a nail in the coffin for me.
Chess is exciting and if commented well, an interesting sport!
 
fresh_42 said:
Chess is exciting and if commented well, an interesting sport!
You like the cheerleaders too? I imagine the comments: "Scratches his nose...going to move his rook...no, changed his mind".
 
fresh_42 said:
I'm not sure yet I like them at all.
It is a weird thing. Wonder if any other country has something similar.
 
WWGD said:
It is a weird thing. Wonder if any other country has something similar.
Does this count?



... and of course our football teams (yes, there exists such a thing) have Cheerleaders, too. Not quite sure about basketball, but probably yes.
 
fresh_42 said:
Does this count?



... and of course our football teams (yes, there exists such a thing) have Cheerleaders, too. Not quite sure about basketball, but probably yes.

I heard some Euro countries and even Israel have baseball leagues. Small and not widely popupar. Still, kind of surprising. Do you also have basketball leagues?
 
Basketball, yes, baseball probably not. The only baseball countries I'm aware of are the USA, Cuba and Japan. However, if you count ... uhm ... uhm ... cricket ...
 
fresh_42 said:
Basketball, yes, baseball probably not. The only baseball countries I'm aware of are the USA, Cuba and Japan. However, if you count ... uhm ... uhm ... cricket ...
No, I've checked and they have some non-pro baseball leagues in these countries. I'll give you a link when I get on my PC; I am on my phone now. I was surprised. Edit: I think this was made possible because of the internet, allowing small groups like Baseball fans outside of the main countries to get together and provide enough of an audience to start a league. Overall RIP with majority tastes/culture thanks to the internet, which allows them to know each other and form groups of common interests.
 
Last edited:
Kind of strange to have all these open ports when just turning the computer on, without having connected to the internet yet.
 
WWGD said:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Baseball+Leagues+in+Europe&atb=v189-1&ia=web

To say something really annoying: Now you have Baseball, you don't have to envy us anymore ;). You too now have an excuse for chewing a known carcinogen and spitting. You're Welcome!
Strange. Last time I saw a baseball ground was at an abandoned US military base near Heidelberg.
 
fresh_42 said:
Strange. Last time I saw a baseball ground was at an abandoned US military base near Heidelberg.
There may be just a few in each country most likely; fewer than 10-20 I would guess. Maybe even some of them are adapted/adaptable from other sports, i.e., mixed use. Sometimes even stadiums used for rock cncerts are converted to Baseball stadiums. EDIT: Otherwise they are not likely economically viable. Would sound strange to hear of the top 3rd base man for the , e.g., Munich wolves ( made up name).
 
More questionable claims: This guy telling me that extended fasting will make/keep the brain sharp. But the brain needs food to function well, I tell him. No response.

Then again, this is the guy who told me he uses house cleaners instead of cologne (I don't think he was joking). I told him these house cleaners were not designed to interact with the human body and may be toxic if used near the skin.
 
People still post things like "List of unwritten rules for..." without seeing a problem with it. I guess "List of ( heretofore) unwritten rules" may sound too clunky. I mean, they are writing a set of rules which they claim are unwritten. Am I being too inflexible here? Just like customer service may assign your ticket the "number" 2-145g , etc. What kind of a number system is that?
 
WWGD said:
People still post things like "List of unwritten rules for..." without seeing a problem with it. I guess "List of ( heretofore) unwritten rules" may sound too clunky. I mean, they are writing a set of rules which they claim are unwritten.
There's a photo somewhere in lame jokes of a blackboard with the three unwritten rules of life:
...so someone agrees with you.
WWGD said:
Just like customer service may assign your ticket the "number" 2-145g , etc. What kind of a number system is that?
Phone numbers are a fascinating example - pure numeric codes (all the brackets and + signs and spaces are ignored when dialling) that aren't numbers because the leading zeroes matter.
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: OmCheeto and WWGD
Ibix said:
There's a photo somewhere in lame jokes of a blackboard with the three unwritten rules of life:


...so someone agrees with you.

Phone numbers are a fascinating example - pure numeric codes (all the brackets and + signs and spaces are ignored when dialling) that aren't numbers because the leading zeroes matter.
Good point about numbers.
But still, the phone company must keep a list of...unlisted phone numbers( Some people ask that their numbers not be listed on the phonebook and I believe they must pay for that).
 
And mentioning lists of numbers, I remember when I would carry my book 'Dictionary of Mathematics' with me, people would ask: "What's in that book?"(Meaning what is the content of it). I would reply that it is a list of all the numbers, because Math is 'about numbers', and people seemed to buy it and say things like "Hmm...interesting!".
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Keith_McClary
WWGD said:
And mentioning lists of numbers, I remember when I would carry my book 'Dictionary of Mathematics' with me, people would ask: "What's in that book?"(Meaning what is the content of it). I would reply that it is a list of all the numbers, because Math is 'about numbers', and people seemed to buy it and say things like "Hmm...interesting!".
Is there a pocket version that only has the even numbers?

I have a copy of Tolman's Relativity, Thermodynamics and Cosmology that I like reading in public because the cover's on upside down. It's quite funny watching people trying to work out if I'm just posing with an intellectual book but am actually so dumb I haven't noticed I'm holding the book upside down, or... what?
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Klystron and BillTre
Ibix said:
Is there a pocket version that only has the even numbers?
I have one with the even primes.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Klystron
fresh_42 said:
I have one with the even primes.
All of them? In one book? Wow!

Can you get one for New Age woo types with all natural numbers?
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Klystron
Ibix said:
All of them? In one book? Wow!

Can you get one for New Age woo types with all natural numbers?
No problem:

1579389596445.png


(https://i.pinimg.com/originals/a4/04/6e/a4046e282703c967feb5113db9917772.jpg)
 
Ibix said:
Is there a pocket version that only has the even numbers?

I have a copy of Tolman's Relativity, Thermodynamics and Cosmology that I like reading in public because the cover's on upside down. It's quite funny watching people trying to work out if I'm just posing with an intellectual book but am actually so dumb I haven't noticed I'm holding the book upside down, or... what?
Are you upside down yourself? Would surely cancel out.
Vaguely-related, I once wore a costume of "Reverse man" , with a mask in the back of my face facing opposite, pants on backwards and special shoes with two foot sections one facing forwards and one backwards. Weird-enough when sitting, but when you walk with it, it seems a person moving in ways that are impossible.
 
Last edited:
Ibix said:
All of them? In one book? Wow!

Can you get one for New Age woo types with all natural numbers?
I have one (sic) showing how all books ever written appear in the expansion of pie (π).
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ibix
Now that I said that, I wonder why Apple has not developed a product called pi. Apple pi.
 
WWGD said:
Weird-enough when sitting, but when you walk with it, it seems a person moving in ways that are impossible.
 
fresh_42 said:

Ah, someone beat me to it. No shame when it is from the greats.
 
It seems like asking others eating in the restaurant constantly: "Are you sure you're going to finish that?" is all of the sudden "frowned upon".
 
Interesting book "Power of When" on how people have different internal time cycles/rythms so that their energy and focus levels change based on different patterns and schedules. The early bird 9-5 lifestyle is not well suited for all, though I am not sure how society, daily life, could be retooled to better fit this difference.