What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 758K views
Physics news on Phys.org
- 20,819
- 28,467
MINT. Mathematics, Informatics (=CS), Natural Science and Technic.
I think it's not as frequently used as STEM is. We, too, have this abbreviation syndrom, but not so extensively as Americans with their abundance of 3-Letter codes. I wonder, whether that was an IVT OF IBM or PRV OBS.
I think it's not as frequently used as STEM is. We, too, have this abbreviation syndrom, but not so extensively as Americans with their abundance of 3-Letter codes. I wonder, whether that was an IVT OF IBM or PRV OBS.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Report that to the SAA then!fresh_42 said:MINT. Mathematics, Informatics (=CS), Natural Science and Technic.
I think it's not as frequently used as STEM is. We, too, have this abbreviation syndrom, but not so extensively as Americans with their abundance of 3-Letter codes. I wonder, whether that was an IVT OF IBM or PRV OBS.
Edit: SAA: Society Against Abbreviations.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
The more time goes by, the more information out there, the larger the number of acronyms and these may start ( absurdly) being longer, 4-, maybe 5 letters long. Maybe you can use this: number of acronyms, their length, to measure comolexity of a society/culture; bet there weren't so many even 50 years ago.fresh_42 said:MINT. Mathematics, Informatics (=CS), Natural Science and Technic.
I think it's not as frequently used as STEM is. We, too, have this abbreviation syndrom, but not so extensively as Americans with their abundance of 3-Letter codes. I wonder, whether that was an IVT OF IBM or PRV OBS.
- 20,819
- 28,467
Yes, that's definitely a paradoxon. One should think that the total number of 3 letter abbreviations is bounded from above, but it obviously isn't!WWGD said:Maybe you can use this: number of acronyms, their length, to measure comolexity of a society/culture; bet there weren't so many even 50 years ago.
- 20,819
- 28,467
It is as redundant as any other faith.nuuskur said:At 12 o clock midnight countless pets fled. This fireworks business is redundant me thinks![]()
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
A similar mess a while back when River Dance played with all the hard and loud shoe-tapping, there was a massive stampede of rats. Imagine you're a rat, doing whatever it is they do and for a few hours, without notice, you hear a loud, massive tapping noise. I bet they believed the end was near and fled in masse like crazy. A sort of modern version of the Pied Piper.nuuskur said:At 12 o clock midnight countless pets fled. This fireworks business is redundant me thinks![]()
- 20,819
- 28,467
Depends on the definition. The loud noise is assumed to scare off all evil demons.
- 20,819
- 28,467
That doesn't solve the problem as ...
Not sure whether this is the reason for fireworks, it is for the noise on carnival, so I assume it is similar on new year.WWGD said:A similar mess a while back when River Dance played with all the hard and loud shoe-tapping, there was a massive stampede of rats.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
I don't think it would have an effect on rats since the noise would be too far away for them to be affected. But when rats are underground and nearby, the tapping is heard much more loudly.fresh_42 said:That doesn't solve the problem as ...
Not sure whether this is the reason for fireworks, it is for the noise on carnival, so I assume it is similar on new year.
- 20,819
- 28,467
And unix systems are by far less critical than all the mainframes in 2K have been.
- 20,819
- 28,467
Do you know any mainframes using UNIX? Banks, air traffic, communication etc? A few computers aren't the problem, the big mainframes are. I don't expect any problems. The big IBM machines from the 70s and 80s were the problem in 2000.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Ok, good points. Still, now you have embedded systems where users may not be aware they are using, like cars, etc. which I assume was less the case back then.How do you check for any/all potential embedded problems?fresh_42 said:Do you know any mainframes using UNIX? Banks, air traffic, communication etc? A few computers aren't the problem, the big mainframes are. I don't expect any problems. The big IBM machines from the 70s and 80s were the problem in 2000.
- 20,819
- 28,467
Yes, this can be the case. But nobody cares if some cars don't work or individual computers crash, or a JAVA application won't work. PP (persönliches Pech; personal bad luck, but PP sounds better than PBL).
I think all big systems have been checked already, and if someone replaced the Y2K bug by the corresponding UNIX bug, then they really deserve to fail. The rest are small client server applications, which only can cause local failures. So what?
I think all big systems have been checked already, and if someone replaced the Y2K bug by the corresponding UNIX bug, then they really deserve to fail. The rest are small client server applications, which only can cause local failures. So what?
- 20,819
- 28,467
Lol, bad example.WWGD said:You're ignoring the most serious problems: What if I can't order Chinese food in 2038? ;).
What if I can't order Chinese food in 2038?
\begin{align*}
10. &\text{ You can order pizza instead.}\\[6pt]
9. &\text{ You live in NY, you can order a cab.}\\[6pt]
8. &\text{ You live in NY, you can walk. }\\[6pt]
7. &\text{ You can order at another Chinese restaurant. }\\[6pt]
6. &\text{ You can order Indian food. }\\[6pt]
5. &\text{ The Chinese restaurant owner uses Windows. }\\[6pt]
4. & \text{ The Chinese restaurant owner uses UNIX but the machine didn't work before anyway. }\\[6pt]
3. &\text{ You are a nerd and order no. 40 every Thursday, so ... }\\[6pt]
2. &\text{ The Chinese restaurant owner has only a telephone anyway. }\\[6pt]
1. &\text{ The Chinese restaurant owner will rather use drums and smoke signals than losing a customer. }
\end{align*}
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Who knows where I will be living 18 years from now, though. But point taken.fresh_42 said:Lol, bad example.
What if I can't order Chinese food in 2038?
\begin{align*}
10. &\text{ You can order pizza instead.}\\[6pt]
9. &\text{ You live in NY, you can order a cab.}\\[6pt]
8. &\text{ You live in NY, you can walk. }\\[6pt]
7. &\text{ You can order at another Chinese restaurant. }\\[6pt]
6. &\text{ You can order Indian food. }\\[6pt]
5. &\text{ The Chinese restaurant owner uses Windows. }\\[6pt]
4. & \text{ The Chinese restaurant owner uses UNIX but the machine didn't work before anyway. }\\[6pt]
3. &\text{ You are a nerd and order no. 40 every Thursday, so ... }\\[6pt]
2. &\text{ The Chinese restaurant owner has only a telephone anyway. }\\[6pt]
1. &\text{ The Chinese restaurant owner will rather use drums and smoke signals than losing a customer. }
\end{align*}
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
I have someone I work with ( more like I work for) who uses 3-4 different emails when sending me
something. Different abbreviations for name, title, etc. When I search my inbox I need to enter different
combinations to find his emails. My telepathic message to him:
Could you _please_ choose one email address and stick with it?
something. Different abbreviations for name, title, etc. When I search my inbox I need to enter different
combinations to find his emails. My telepathic message to him:
Could you _please_ choose one email address and stick with it?
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
How hard can it be to explain that I am being taxed twice?
I buy something from the hot bar. It is entered into the register, with tax included, total T.
I add something of price t, then I am charged (T+t)*tax instead of T+ t*tax. Fortunately T is
small enough to just let go.
I buy something from the hot bar. It is entered into the register, with tax included, total T.
I add something of price t, then I am charged (T+t)*tax instead of T+ t*tax. Fortunately T is
small enough to just let go.
- 20,819
- 28,467
With out without colored modelling clay?WWGD said:How hard can it be to explain that I am being taxed twice?
I buy something from the hot bar. It is entered into the register, with tax included, total T.
I add something of price t, then I am charged (T+t)*tax instead of T+ t*tax. Fortunately T is
small enough to just let go.
- 20,819
- 28,467
No, we don't have that problem. Our prices per position already include the tax. In the situation you described we would have gotten two bills, or one on leave where all positions would have been associated with a table number or another identification property.
We pay ##at+bt## whereas you pay ##(a+b)t##, or in your case ##((a)t+b)t##.
We pay ##at+bt## whereas you pay ##(a+b)t##, or in your case ##((a)t+b)t##.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
If that was the case here, maybe they would have tried to make me pay both bills!fresh_42 said:No, we don't have that problem. Our prices per position already include the tax. In the situation you described we would have gotten two bills, or one on leave where all positions would have been associated with a table number or another identification property.
Similar threads
- DJeffs
- · Replies 15 ·
- STEM Career Guidance
- Replies
- 15
- Cait
- · Replies 1 ·
- Astronomy, Astrophysics, Cosmology
- Replies
- 1
- Replies
- 2
