What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 757K views
WWGD said:
You have the same problem there ? It would be a good exercise for those who keep asking:

What is Math good for IRL?
Another good exercise Re Math IRL is to decide if, given an item at x% discount on which one must pay taxes,, if it is the same to first apply the discount and then apply taxes as first computing taxes and then applying discount.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
This woman apparently thought I was harrassing her and changed seats because ( I assume) I was staring at her. I was actually looking at the food she was eating, which looked amazingly tasty. EDIT: When I was going over :" Automate the boring stuff with Bacon(Python)".
 
Last edited:
Good reason not to give your dog a standard human name. I was sitting on a bench, this guy with a dog named after me: " Don't do anything there, I won't clean up after you!" I turn around (I was sitting). " Stop smelling the (censored) of other dogs. What's wrong with you?". "Just stop!" . Whatever happened to "Pebbles" or " Rocky", etc ? I assure you I won't do my needs in the park.
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Klystron
Why don't they have separate quiet/study and talk sections in coffee shops. I do always carry my head phones
but still too loud some times:

Teenage girls on next table :

" He's so cute, I bet he doesn't even know I exist".

Me:
" Hey, I don't know if _I_ exist !"

Awkward silence. But not a viable general solution.
 
WWGD said:
Why don't they have separate quiet/study and talk sections in coffee shops. I do always carry my head phones
but still too loud some times:

Teenage girls on next table :

" He's so cute, I bet he doesn't even know I exist".

Me:
" Hey, I don't know if _I_ exist !"

Awkward silence. But not a viable general solution.
I once visited a pretty crowded coffee shop. My friend and I took seat at a larger table where already some economy students sat. My friend took a book with him which he unwarily put on the table. Some minutes later we were alone at the table. The book title was: Introduction to Infinitesimal and Integration Theory (or similar).
 
fresh_42 said:
I once visited a pretty crowded coffee shop. My friend and I took seat at a larger table where already some economy students sat. My friend took a book with him which he unwarily put on the table. Some minutes later we were alone at the table. The book title was: Introduction to Infinitesimal and Integration Theory (or similar).
Don't worry, I believe similar is the case for economists; I remember reading a rule of thumb to the effect that
in order for a party/dinner invite to be successful, less than 10% of guests can be economists. Ouch!
 
Sitting in a waiting area at the Veterans Hospital reading "The Mathematics Lover's Companion" when the enormous biker sitting to my left notices a diagram of tiling frames.

"Oh, Fibonacci numbers!", exclaims my gargantuan neighbor.

"Yeah, amazing math for the Twelve Century.", I reply. Take a deep breath. "If Fibonacci were alive now he would probably be a computer scientist. I read a book last week that claimed old Leonard wrote some of the first mathematics textbooks then in use for hundreds of years. Blah, blah ... flower petals ... pineapples ... sequences ...".

Giant biker pulls out his phone and starts playing games. Young veteran dude on my right plugs in ear buds and becomes engrossed in watching videos on his phone. Pretty blonde vet sitting across from me crosses her legs and stares up at the 'Veterans Health' video loop on the CCTV. I turn to chapter on set theory.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD and Ibix
Today I learned that it's possible to hit every one of my buttons on a particular subject in one conversation, accidentally as far as I could tell, in such a way that each one is complimentary to me and I'd look like an idiot if I started ranting about the wrongness of it all. :oldgrumpy:
 
I surprised myself at the effort I was willing to do just to get a small pack of salt for my food (to be microwaved). I waited like 40 minutes, talked with like 3 different staff at the place...and then I remembered I had a few packs as part of my "emergency" stash (together with dry socks, etc). There were some pepper packs (picked by Peter Piper ;)) but to me, pepper is only good as a name for exotic dancers.
 
Last edited:
Aargh! Always forget that the sauce for the takeout is in the bottom. I complain: How is it !@# possible
to eat chicken without any sauce! I slog through it... to find the sauce at the very bottom. Only gone through
this like 5 times, so no reason for me to know (right!)
 
Wonder why in every picture of a dog I remember seeing, the dog's mouth is open and their tongue is sticking out. Dont remember seeing dogs with their mouths shut.
 
fresh_42 said:
If dogs shouldn't eat chicken bones, why do leopard seals chase penguins?
Was der smokert freshmeister?
 
Funny to read an American German surname (ESPN reporter) that you never saw before, and even don't know where to part the syllables.
 
fresh_42 said:
Funny to read an American German surname (ESPN reporter) that you never saw before, and even don't know where to part the syllables.
Melvin Nugen -Fahrver? Auf Sportkeit TV?
 
fresh_42 said:
Funny to read an American German surname (ESPN reporter) that you never saw before, and even don't know where to part the syllables.
Is it dubbed in German? Do you get non-Euro sports like Baseball?
 
fresh_42 said:
Kirk Herbstreit. Funny name: Herb Streit = tart argue and Herbst Reit = autumn ride.
Tart argue?
 
WWGD said:
Is it dubbed in German? Do you get non-Euro sports like Baseball?
Nobody watches adult men chewing tobacco here.

They broadcast football, and right now the College final as a takeover from ESPN. They have German commentators, and good ones: a former NFL player and a coach who won the European championship with France. So at least they know what they are talking about.
 
WWGD said:
Tart argue?
Google chooses "bitter argument". Herb is not really bitter, but o.k. in a way. E.g. beer with much humulus is "herb", not bitter. The dictionary gave me "dry" or "tart". I guess it's obvious that both words have a common origin, herb and herbs, which indicates the taste.

Streit has no good translation. Quarrel is an option, argument is one, but they don't hit the nail. Quarrel sounds like fighting and argument like reasoning. Streit is more in the middle of them.
 
fresh_42 said:
Nobody watches adult men chewing tobacco here.

They broadcast football, and right now the College final as a takeover from ESPN. They have German commentators, and good ones: a former NFL player and a coach who won the European championship with France. So at least they know what they are talking about.
So is it a direct translation /rebroadcast or a German made affiliate? Just confused.
 
WWGD said:
So is it a direct translation /rebroadcast or a German made affiliate? Just confused.
Never heard the name Herbstreit, but it consists of German words. Btw. Ebstreit is also a German word, meaning an argument about inheritance.
 
fresh_42 said:
Never heard the name Herbstreit, but it consists of German words. Btw. Ebstreit is also a German word, meaning an argument about inheritance.
No, I meant the station. Is it rebroadcast or an affiliate station?
 
Another random thought: One of the healthiest cuisines is the Japanese, and - let's be honest - one of the unhealthiest the American. But both cultures invented a sport where fat people can participate.
WWGD said:
No, I meant the station. Is it rebroadcast or an affiliate station?
They bought the live coverage (pictures) from ESPN (or whoever owns the rights) and comment it from the studio.
 
Want to talk about unusual? I saw a rerun of an old show where Marylin Idiot Savant ( German name?) was debating whether her measured IQ was the 228 she claimed. Saw it on someone's PC. Like another weird competition.
 
fresh_42 said:
Marylin is probably a version of Maria, Idiot is universal, and Savant french.
Mary the universal French Idiot? She was in the Guinness book at one point but not last I checked.
 
fresh_42 said:
Another random thought: One of the healthiest cuisines is the Japanese, and - let's be honest - one of the unhealthiest the American. But both cultures invented a sport where fat people can participate.

They bought the live coverage (pictures) from ESPN (or whoever owns the rights) and comment it from the studio.
You'd be surprised that some channels, I think ESPN included, has fishing shows where someone is filmed while just doing some fishing.
 
WWGD said:
You'd be surprised that some channels, I think ESPN included, has fishing shows where someone is filmed while just doing some fishing.
And I thought Golf was the ultimate tranquilizer.
 
They have bowling too. But no cheerleaders anymore.