What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 758K views
jim hardy said:
Wow if that's ongoing you need one of those little UPS units with built in battery .
Yeah, they work... at least for our stuff.

UPS .JPG


UPS 2.JPG


UPS 1.JPG


UPS 3.JPG
 
Attachments
  • UPS .JPG
    UPS .JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 444
  • UPS 2.JPG
    UPS 2.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 400
  • UPS 1.JPG
    UPS 1.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 495
  • UPS 3.JPG
    UPS 3.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 455
Physics news on Phys.org
Just a Heads Up for reported run time.
My UPS (by APC) does self tests when it feels like it. If it tests when the computer system is off it reports 56 Minutes of run time. If it tests with the computer system running the report says 16 Minutes.
Caveat emptor!
 
Tom.G said:
If it tests with the computer system running the report says 16 Minutes.
One desktop with two monitors running, one laptop running, one modem/router running, one Roku running...

Self Test.JPG


PPPE .JPG


I'm not sure, but I think I can only do a manual test.
 
Attachments
  • Self Test.JPG
    Self Test.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 421
  • PPPE .JPG
    PPPE .JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 426
Last edited:
I don't know why, but for a long time now, I have been hoping to go to a fancy place, order a glass of wine, then put some Splenda and ice on it and drink it with a straw. All with a straight face. Maybe a leftover of high school days, when I relished being shocking. And then asking them to microwave it for me and have them give me a cup so I can take the leftover wine home.
 
I am taking a break from general dabbling. I will have to leave aside questions like whether any non-singleton Topological space ##T## can be homeomorphic to its square ## T \times T ##. EDIT: I am pretty sure I am ignoring a simple invariant which may provide an easy negative proof. Maybe some type of dimension.
 
Last edited:
WWGD said:
I am taking a break from general dabbling. I will have to leave aside questions like whether any non-singleton Topological space ##T## can be homeomorphic to its square ## T \times T ##. EDIT: I am pretty sure I am ignoring a simple invariant which may provide an easy negative proof. Maybe some type of dimension.
Topology is a mean <peep>, because you need a lot of
WWGD said:
order a glass of wine, then put some Splenda and ice on it and drink it with a straw
to stand this world of counterexamples. Of course, after a lot of
WWGD said:
order a glass of wine, then put some Splenda and ice on it and drink it with a straw
you cannot do topology anymore because you see homeomorphisms all around. o0)
 
fresh_42 said:
Topology is a mean <peep>, because you need a lot of

to stand this world of counterexamples. Of course, after a lot of

you cannot do topology anymore because you see homeomorphisms all around. o0)

Sounds like you've tried it...:) hic.
 
WWGD said:
Sounds like you've tried it...:) hic.
Well, I'll do my very best!

This is our nationwide and mandatory tv-show on New Year's Eve. O.k. the original is mandatory, there are also several covers in local dialects, which are optional:

Any questions, Sir Toby?
 
fresh_42 said:
Well, I'll do my very best!

This is our nationwide and mandatory tv-show on New Year's Eve. O.k. the original is mandatory, there are also several covers in local dialects, which are optional:

Any questions, Sir Toby?
A quite bizarre tradition, which you can read about on Wikipedia: Dinner for One
Wikipedia said:
The sketch has become a tradition in Germany, where up to half the population may watch it every year on New Year's Eve, but it is almost completely unknown in the United Kingdom
I'd heard about it, once, but this is the first time I've watched it.
 
DrGreg said:
I'd heard about it, once, but this is the first time I've watched it.
It is a fixed part of private parties to watch it together (usually around 8 p.m.) and many know the few text lines by heart. If you drop "Admiral von Schneider" or any other member's name in a converstion, chances are good you earn a "Skol!" or a "You look better than ever look" with a drunken attitude.
 
I don't care what others say, I still hear " Until next time, I am Erica" ( "Until next time , America"). A matter of parsing, I guess. If I see the reporter before the show (show: =next time), I will call him, Erica.
 
Hear about this philosopher S.Cahn. Would like to see him write a book with I.Kant, authored by : I Kant and S.Cahn , or, would be better if philosopher were named U.Cahn: U Cahn and I Kant.
 
WWGD said:
Hear about this philosopher S.Cahn. Would like to see him write a book with I.Kant, authored by : I Kant and S.Cahn , or, would be better if philosopher were named U.Cahn: U Cahn and I Kant.
Neither Cahn nor Kant is pronounced the way that is necessary to make the pun work. So it is entirely based on the disability to pronounce correctly.
 
fresh_42 said:
Neither Cahn nor Kant is pronounced the way that is necessary to make the pun work. So it is entirely based on the disability to pronounce correctly.
Maybe not in Deutscher, but in English , yes, more closely. Or you can use the self-motivator Shaka Khan -- and so can(Cahn) you.
 
WWGD said:
Maybe not in Deutscher, but in English , yes, more closely. Or you can use the self-motivator Shaka Khan -- and so can(Cahn) you.
I just recognized that the correct pronunciation of Kant is not really a good idea in an English context ...
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
fresh_42 said:
I just recognized that the correct pronunciation of Kant is not really a good idea in an English context ...
Similar problem for the school CUNY (City University of NY) , if check order of letters in (Qwerty) keyboard...Type carefully.
 
WWGD said:
Similar problem for the school CUNY (City University of NY) , if check order of letters in (Qwerty) keyboard...Type carefully.
Lol, we have z and y exchanged, so less risky on this side, although CUNX looks a bit like the Klan.
 
fresh_42 said:
Lol, we have z and y exchanged, so less risky on this side, although CUNX looks a bit like the Klan.
You have QWERTZ? keyboards? I had heard of Dvorak (allegedly "Statistically Correct"), but had not heard of QWERTZ.
 
WWGD said:
You have QWERTZ? keyboards? I had heard of Dvorak (allegedly "Statistically Correct"), but had not heard of QWERTZ.
Yep. There are also some differences on the extra symbols like |,~,°,\ which I usually only recognize if I had a disc crash and installation routines start with a different setting or I'm on the computers of my relatives. But I do have troubles to search on Swedish Wikipedia pages sometimes.
 
Overheard today: Auto response of people meeting each other today: A,B walking towards each other:
A ( to B): " How are you doing"?
B: " You too" . Walks away.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ProfuselyQuarky
jim hardy said:
Yes , it's come to be a greeting not a question.
You too, Jim :).
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: jim hardy
Seems like Starbucks workers have successfully negotiated less rigid uniform rules; I see them in jeans and t-shirts , although still, of course, the aprons and hats/caps. Good for them.
 
I smell Zariski :biggrin:

WWGD said:
How about the major ones : invertible, non-invertible? Tho " most" matrices are invertible, i.e., ##Gl(n, \mathbb R)## is dense in ##M_{ n\times n} \mathbb R##
 
fresh_42 said:
I smell Zariski :biggrin:
I smell senility --I thought I was kind of early for this -- since I intended to post this in another forum :(
 
I guess advertisement ideas are different through the world. Just got an email for " Thousands of Russian women desperately looking for a man" . Not your traditional pitch, I would say.
 
WWGD said:
I guess advertisement ideas are different through the world. Just got an email for " Thousands of Russian women desperately looking for a man" . Not your traditional pitch, I would say.
You surf too often on websites about (Bela-)Russian topologists :-p
WWGD said:
I smell senility --I thought I was kind of early for this -- since I intended to post this in another forum :(
I'm a crossover fan. It prevents me from banning myself due to off-topic comments.
 
Last edited:
fresh_42 said:
You surf too often on websites about (Bela-)Russian topologists :-p

.

Not that I can remember. Only sites where I do not have to give my email in order to register. And the requests are not Math-related either.
 
WWGD said:
Not that I can remember. Only sites where I do not have to give my email in order to register. And the requests are not Math-related either.
Do you want to swap? Your Russian women and I can offer a daily bible verse, several American politicians of both parties and Christian singles. O.k. I can explain the politicians, but the data miners did a terrible job on the other thing! And before I forget: the Smithsonian regularly addresses me with "Betty, we want you back!"