What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 756K views
Finally got some benefit from my strength training (leg lifts, pushups, etc.) when I slipped and fell a few floors and did not get hurt.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
WWGD said:
fell a few floors and did not get hurt.
How many is/are "a few?"
 
Bystander said:
How many is/are "a few?"
A few cannot be one, but it can be as low as two... . :book: + :tv: = :gradcap:
 
Bystander said:
How many is/are "a few?"
Sorry, unintended exaggeration: a few steps down; I tripped and fell 5-6 stair steps down.
 
WWGD said:
Sorry, unintended exaggeration: a few steps down; I tripped and fell 5-6 stair steps down.
Face forward or sliding down on your back?
 
Asymptotic said:
Face forward or sliding down on your back?
On my back.
 
Simply because I've read this one today and it fits into context ... somehow ...
Asymptotic said:
Face forward or sliding down on your back?
Why do scuba divers fall backwards into the water?
If they fell forward, they were still in the boat.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Asymptotic, collinsmark and OmCheeto
WWGD said:
On my back.
That's the only way to go!

Did it once myself coming home from school one cold, snowy day. Slipped on a patch of ice at the very top of a nine concrete stairway between our yard and the road ... my armload of books went flying as I slid down backwards head first, hollering "f&%k" for every time my head hit stair finally coming to a stop on the other side of the macadam. :)
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
Asymptotic said:
That's the only way to go!

Did it once myself coming home from school one cold, snowy day. Slipped on a patch of ice at the very top of a nine concrete stairway between our yard and the road ... my armload of books went flying as I slid down backwards head first, hollering "f&%k" for every time my head hit stair finally coming to a stop on the other side of the macadam. :)
Good deal; in my case it was just good-old rain in a smooth surface near the stairs.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Asymptotic
WWGD said:
Finally got some benefit from my strength training (leg lifts, pushups, etc.) when I slipped and fell a few floors and did not get hurt.
I forgot, I guess, all the bottles I have opened for older people too: "You look pretty strong, can you help me with this...". Time well spent with those pushups, leglifts, etc.
 
I still get mixed up apps as in applications with apps as in appetizers...
 
I bought a pair of shoes that are around one size too big. I need to find someone who has shoe size larger than mine who bought shoes one -or-more sizes too small. Seems like a nice new feature for PF..."Wake up, you need to make money!"
 
Attachments
  • upload_2017-11-11_15-34-6.png
    upload_2017-11-11_15-34-6.png
    65.9 KB · Views: 475
  • upload_2017-11-11_15-35-4.png
    upload_2017-11-11_15-35-4.png
    65.6 KB · Views: 497
WWGD said:
"Wake up, you need to make money!"
Wake up, winter's ahead! You will need space for a second and third pair of socks!
 
fresh_42 said:
Wake up, winter's ahead! You will need space for a second and third pair of socks!
And, hopefully new shoes from the new PF shoe exchange...
 
I've long thought a PF swap meet would be fun. Trade those' projects we never got around to finishing' .

What size are your shoes ? What style?
 
jim hardy said:
I've long thought a PF swap meet would be fun. Trade those' projects we never got around to finishing' .

What size are your shoes ? What style?
Around 13-13.5 ; any shoes I can wear to an office job. Things are a bit formal in here in terms of dressing for work.
 
Not to shill; but, just got a home assistant or, for me and what I hope to be, a life organizer. Think it's worth the $49.
 
jim hardy said:
WWGD said:
Around 13-13.5
Wow I'm 8.5 - 9.
And now the physics lesson for our students here:

Mine is 45-46.
Find the error!
 
Posy McPostface said:
Not to shill; but, just got a home assistant or, for me and what I hope to be, a life organizer. Think it's worth the $49.
They used to be called
fresh_42 said:
And now the physics lesson for our students here:

Mine is 45-46.
Find the error!
Easy: you're 29'' tall!
 
I can't access Google today and I'm being forced to use Bing. :oldruck:
 
fresh_42 said:
I think a combo of both is best: use Google when you want to find something within what you expect, within the familiar, since Google tracks your search history and if you want a blank search, use DuckDuckgo, which does not track your history. In a sense, Google narrows your world and gives you predictable results.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: jim hardy
WWGD said:
I think a combo of both is best: use Google when you want to find something within what you expect, within the familiar, since Google tracks your search history and if you want a blank search, use DuckDuckgo, which does not track your history. In a sense, Google narrows your world and gives you predictable results.
Yeah, but Google's servers have a completely strange impression of my behavior. I look up places on maps, sometimes news and translations, but mostly if I look for pages to quote here. Which by the way is hard enough for certain terms. But it usually directs me to Wikipedia, so I go there in the first place. It's also the better place to translate scientific vocabulary. However, I prefer Google if I want to do a fast connection check in which case I use search items which will guarantee me many findings. You could guess, these aren't the scientific terms ...
 
fresh_42 said:
Yeah, but Google's servers have a completely strange impression of my behavior. I look up places on maps, sometimes news and translations, but mostly if I look for pages to quote here. Which by the way is hard enough for certain terms. But it usually directs me to Wikipedia, so I go there in the first place. It's also the better place to translate scientific vocabulary. However, I prefer Google if I want to do a fast connection check in which case I use search items which will guarantee me many findings. You could guess, these aren't the scientific terms ...
An understatement, Freshmeister. I used to do online Sudokus. Once around 19 boxes were left empty, I considered the puzzle done and would start a new one. Google interpreted this as my being senile and started recommended treatments for Alzheimer, Parkinson. Google is not too good with outliers.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: fresh_42
Power outage - 5 seconds.
Time to restart all of my work computers - 20 minutes. :oldruck:
Third time this week.
:headbang:
 
Wow if that's ongoing you need one of those little UPS units with built in battery .
Walk the last couple miles of power company feeder to your house - any tree limbs brushing the lines? They'd like to know.
 
It's the office building that I work in. Everything's underground. Usually it's very stable but every once in a while we'll get a streak of short cutoffs.
 
For our simulator we put in a motor-generator set with flywheel sized to ride through a one second interruption with100 KW load. Our flywheel was about a meter diameter by 4 inches thick. Induction motor, flywheel , synchronous generator all mounted on one skid about the size of a big chest freezer.
Perhaps your department would consider something along that idea but sized for your loads.
Worked very well . Since the computer supplier had overestimated his consumption we could ride through power glitches lasting several seconds and the computers didn't notice.

old jim