1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the notation [itex]id_{ }[/itex]?

1. Jul 23, 2012 #1
    Preface: Can't understand notation from 1st year Real Analysis textbook that they pulled out of thin air without defining.

1. The thing statement that they're proving
    Let A and B be sets. Moreover, let [itex]f : A \rightarrow B[/itex] be some injective map. Calculate [itex]f^{-1} \circ f[/itex].

SOLUTION: To every [itex]y \in f(A)[/itex], the map [itex]f^{-1}[/itex] associates the corresponding [itex]x \in A [/itex] which satisfies [itex]f(x) = y[/itex]. In particular, it associates with [itex]f(x)[/itex] the element [itex]x[/itex] for all [itex]x \in A[/itex]. Hence:

[itex]f^{-1} \circ f = id_A[/itex], [itex]f \circ f^{-1} = id_{f(A)}[/itex],

where for every set [itex]C[/itex] the corresponding map [itex]id_C : C \rightarrow C [/itex] is defined by:

[itex]id_C (x) := C[/itex]

for all [itex]x \in C[/itex].

2. My confusion
    What's [itex]id[/itex]?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The identity map- the function that maps every member of a set to itself. If you are taking "mathematical analysis" surely you have seen inverse functions before? And you should know that the definition of "inverse function" is that f-1(f(x))= f(f-1(x))= x?

But I doubt that your text says "idC(x):= C". Surely it says "idC(x)= x for all [itex]x\in C[/itex]". Check that again.

4. Jul 23, 2012 #3
    1) It does say what you supposed that it did not say. Must be a typo.

Page 31 of Beyer's Calculus & Analysis: A combined approach.

2) You've solve my problem. Thanks :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook