What is the Orbital Speed of a Satellite in a Circular Orbit?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 9K views
Whotto
Messages
16
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



#1
A satellite is in a circular orbit around an unknown planet/ The satellite has a speed of 1.70 x 104 m/s, and the radius of the orbit is 5.25 x 106 m. A second satellite also has a circular orbit around this same planet. The orbit of this second satellite has a radius of 8.60 x 10^6 m. What is the orbital speed of the second satellite.

#2
The moon orbits the Earth at a distance of 3.85 x 108 m. Assume that this distance is between the centers of the Earth and the moon and that the mass of the Earth is 5.98 x 1024 kg. Find the period for the moon's motion around the Earth. Express the answer in days and compare it to the length of a month.

Homework Equations



I have no clue. Maybe this?

v = sqrt(GM/r)

F = G (m1m2/r2)

a = v2 / r

a = 4pi2r / T2

The Attempt at a Solution



# 1: Well, I know there is something that the two satellites could be compared to, but I can't figure what. I tried a futile stab at the question by using v12 / r = v22 / r but that didn't give me the right answer.

The answer at the back of the book is 1.3 x 104 m/s.

# 2: I don't even know how to get started on this question...I know I have radius and mass of the Earth, and I need to find the period.

Any help towards these questions would be greatly appreciated!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]v = \frac{2{\pi}r}{T}[/tex]

Should help you in the second part if you equate it to another equation with known variables.
 
Thanks! I got #2 with the formula T = ( 2 pi r3/2 ) / sqrt(GMe).


But I still don't get #1. Can I get some more pointers?