What is the pattern in the sequence of a1, a2, and a3 homework statements?

  • Thread starter Thread starter cybercrypt13
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
cybercrypt13
Messages
87
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



a1 = sqrt(3), a2 = sqrt( 3 + sqrt( 3) ), a3 = sqrt( 3 + sqrt( 3 + sqrt( 3) ) )

Homework Equations



Notice that each term is inside the sqrt of the previous term. I have no idea how to lay something like this out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The Attempt at a Solution

 
Physics news on Phys.org
What are you trying to do? Find an expression for the nth term? Find the sum of the series? What?
 
sorry,

it says find a recursive formula for a n+1 in terms of an. and find its limit
 
[tex]a_{n+1}=\sqrt{3+a_n}[/tex]

We have [tex]a_1<a_2[/tex]
Suppose [tex]a_{n-1}<a_n[/tex].
Then [tex]a_n-a_{n+1}=\sqrt{3+a_{n-1}}-\sqrt{3+a_n}<0\Rightarrow a_n<a_{n+1}[/tex], so [tex](a_n)_{n\geq 1}[/tex] is crescent.
We'll prove that [tex]\displaystyle a_n<\frac{1+\sqrt{13}}{2}[/tex]
[tex]a_1<\sqrt{1+\sqrt{13}}{2}[/tex].
Suppose that [tex]a_n<\frac{1+\sqrt{13}}{2}[/tex].
Then [tex]a_{n+1}=\sqrt{3+a_n}<\sqrt{3+\frac{1+\sqrt{13}}{2}}=\frac{1+\sqrt{13}}{2}[/tex].
So the sequence is convergent. Let [tex]l=\lim_{n\to\infty}a_n[/tex].
Then [tex]l=\sqrt{3+l}\Rightarrow l=\frac{1+\sqrt{13}}{2}[/tex]
 
Thanks but I'm more confused now that I thought I was before. Where did your sqrt(13) come from?

thanks,

glenn
 
Nevermind, I understand now. Thanks for the help...