What is the period of the ISS orbit?

  • Thread starter Thread starter KCEWMG
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Orbit Radius
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
KCEWMG
Messages
10
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


The International Space Station (ISS) circles the Earth at an altitude of 347 km.
What is the period of the orbit of the ISS expressed in minutes?
G=6.67x10^-11 N * m^2 /kg^2
M(Earth)=5.98*10^24 kg

Homework Equations


T^2/R^3 = (4Pi^2)/(GM)
So: T^2= Sqrt(((4Pi^2)/(GM))*(r^3))

The Attempt at a Solution


Alright, so I've been plugging in these numbers for awhile, and I keep getting the wrong answer: 1.1 seconds. The right answer is 91.3 min.
T is in seconds when initially calculated, right? I'm still doing something wrong, but I'm hoping to just double check on that.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, :smile:

KCEWMG said:

Homework Statement


The International Space Station (ISS) circles the Earth at an altitude of 347 km.
What is the period of the orbit of the ISS expressed in minutes?
G=6.67x10^-11 N * m^2 /kg^2
M(Earth)=5.98*10^24 kg

Homework Equations


T^2/R^3 = (4Pi^2)/(GM)
So: T^2= Sqrt(((4Pi^2)/(GM))*(r^3))

The Attempt at a Solution


Alright, so I've been plugging in these numbers for awhile, and I keep getting the wrong answer: 1.1 seconds. The right answer is 91.3 min.
T is in seconds when initially calculated, right? I'm still doing something wrong, but I'm hoping to just double check on that.

I'm not sure what numbers you're plugging in, but keep in mind that the 'R' in Newton's law of gravitation is the distance between the centres of mass of the two bodies. What is the distance between the ISS and the centre of mass of the Earth? Hint: it is not 347 km.