What Is the Potential of the Combined Water Drop?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 2K views
Abel I Daniel
Messages
12
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


8 Charged drops of water each of radius 1 mm and having a charge of 10^(-10) Coloumbs are combined to form a bigger drop.Determine the potential of the bigger drop.

Homework Equations


Does the radius becomes 4*10^(-3)m,when it combines?
Does the charge sum up to 9*10^(-10)?

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Used the formula -V=9*10^(9)*Q/r
Got the ans as 1800 V.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Abel I Daniel said:

Homework Statement


8 Charged drops of water each of radius 1 mm and having a charge of 10^(-10) Coloumbs are combined to form a bigger drop.Determine the potential of the bigger drop.

Homework Equations


Does the radius becomes 4*10^(-3)m,when it combines?
I don't think so. It's probably easier to work with the mm units that were given.
What's the volume of one rain drop?
If you combine 8 rain drops into one bigger drop, what is the volume of this larger drop? What's its radius?
Abel I Daniel said:
Does the charge sum up to 9*10^(-10)?

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Used the formula -V=9*10^(9)*Q/r
Got the ans as 1800 V.
 
Mark44 said:
I don't think so. It's probably easier to work with the mm units that were given.
What's the volume of one rain drop?
If you combine 8 rain drops into one bigger drop, what is the volume of this larger drop? What's its radius?

I assume the volume to be (4/3)*(pi)*r^3,where r is 1 mm.
But what potential has to do with Volume.i am quit weak in this subject
 
Abel I Daniel said:
I assume the volume to be (4/3)*(pi)*r^3,where r is 1 mm.
Or more simply, 4/3 ##\pi##, the volume of one rain drop,
Abel I Daniel said:
But what potential has to do with Volume.i am quit weak in this subject
From the formula you wrote in post #1, the potential V is a function of the radius r.
-V=9*10^(9)*Q/r
If 8 rain drops combine into one larger drop, what's the volume of the larger rain drop? What's the radius of the larger rain drop?
 
Mark44 said:
If 8 rain drops combine into one larger drop, what's the volume of the larger rain drop? What's the radius of the larger rain drop?
i hope it adds up linearliy,that means ,radius of larger frop =8* 1mm (radius of each smaller drop)
 
Abel I Daniel said:
i hope it adds up linearliy,that means ,radius of larger frop =8* 1mm (radius of each smaller drop)
No, it doesn't.
The volumes add like you think they would, but the radius of the combined raindrop is NOT 8mm.
 
Mark44 said:
The volumes add like you think they would, but the radius of the combined raindrop is NOT 8mm.
the bigger radius becomes twice the smaller radius ie 2 mm.But what about the charge ?
 
THank you Mark44,for helping me to reach to the answer.You made me think,which i already knew