What is the radial acceleration of a pendulum at a given angle?

  • Thread starter Thread starter jg727
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Pendulum
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
jg727
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
A pendulum (with string length "L") and aball of mass "m" is pulled back to a horizontal position and then released. Assuming that θ is the angle between the string and the vertical, find (a.) the magnitude of the radial acceleration of this ball at an angle of θ as a function of m,g, L, and/or θ.


I think I found what "V" is but I am not completely sure.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You know from the equation for centripetal acceleration that a is going to depend on v and the radius, which is L in this case. However, v is not constant, but rather is a function of theta. You need to find this function.