What is the Radius of a Satellite's Circular Orbit Around Earth?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 8K views
BuBbLeS01
Messages
602
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A satellite is in a circular orbit around the earth. The period of the satellite is 22.0 hr. Calculate the radius of the orbit of the satellite. Data: Mass of the Earth = 5.98·1024 kg.



Homework Equations


I thought I could use...
T^2 = (4pi^2/GM) * r^3
but I am not getting the right answer, can someone give me a start on this?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
This is the correct formula. Did you convert the period from hours to seconds? If not, you are going to get the incorrect answer. You have to make sure everything is in SI units.
 
I also assume you mean the mass of the Earth = 5.98*10^24 kg.
 
yes I converted it to seconds and got 1.84x10^8 m, but its wrong.
 
Show your work. You made a mistake somewhere, as you should have about 40000 km had you applied the equation properly.