What Is the Radius of Gyration of a Rectangular Frame About Its Center?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 5K views
madmax2006
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
I'm trying to figure out the radius of gyration of the frame about O.

Homework Statement



A rectangular frame is put together with massless rods having identical 1.8 lb weights placed at the corners as shown in the figure. The frame is pivoted about an axis passing through O, the center of mass of the system, perpendicular to the paper.
a) Find the angular acceleration of the frame about O
b) Find the radius of gyration of the frame about O

Homework Equations


Angular acceleration of the fram about O =
Icm = 1/12(M(a2 + b2))
Icm = 101.4kg ft2

I can't find an equation for b) and I can't find anything about "radius of gyration" in my book. Is there another name for it?

I found R = [tex]\sqrt{I/m}[/tex] On wiki & a few other sites..

The Attempt at a Solution



[tex]\sqrt{101.4kg ft^2 / 7.2kg}[/tex]

=

3.75ft
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have the correct expression for the radius of gyration. I know of no other name for it.

Your calculation of the moment of inertia looks suspicious, but to be 100% sure, we have to see a picture. I say "suspicious" because the rods are said to be massless so the factor of 1/12 should not be there. Just find the total moment of inertia of the four masses at the corners because that's what the problem appears to want.