What is the reasoning behind µ < 1?

• Thread starter jack action
  • Start date
In summary, a teacher's false claim that the coefficient of friction can never exceed 1 led to students wasting time and confusion.
jack action
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2023 Award
I know the coefficient of friction can be greater than one. But it seems that a lot of people were thought the opposite at some point through the school system. What was the reasoning behind that theory? I can't imagine how you could prove such a statement.

Engineering news on Phys.org
jack action said:
I know the coefficient of friction can be greater than one. But it seems that a lot of people were thought the opposite at some point through the school system. What was the reasoning behind that theory? I can't imagine how you could prove such a statement.

It's a terrible idea to tell students that the coefficient of friction is less than or equal to 1. It's rarely greater than 1, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I know a teacher who once told his students it can never exceed 1, and guess what, they ended up getting a question on their A level exam where the value of μ they were supposed to calculate was actually 1.27. Incidentally, this was the only year in which a coefficient of friction greater than 1 actually appeared on a CIE A level exam.
Anyway, you could imagine how terrible it was for students who obtained the correct answer but ended up erasing their work and wasting a lot of time, all because they were told a myth (or a misquoted fact) by their teacher.

jack action said:
What was the reasoning behind that theory?
Interesting question, and probably no really clear answer. It did include contact area, forbade galling and adhesion (which would have wiped out any basis for proposing the "unit" limit in the first place), and made some strange appeal to intuition based on 45 degree frictionless (of all things) wedges, and it's just as well I can't recall the particulars. It made for entertaining evenings in college, listening to adherents vs. drag racing fans.

Likes berkeman

1. What does µ < 1 mean?

µ < 1 is a mathematical notation commonly used in statistics to represent a value less than 1. It is also known as a "subunit multiplier" and is often used to express proportions or rates.

2. Why is µ < 1 important in scientific research?

In scientific research, µ < 1 is often used to represent a small effect size. This means that the relationship between two variables is weak or negligible. It is important because it helps scientists determine the significance and practical importance of their findings.

3. What is the reasoning behind using µ < 1 in statistical analysis?

Using µ < 1 in statistical analysis allows researchers to identify and interpret small effects in their data. It also helps to avoid overstating the significance of results and allows for more accurate conclusions to be drawn from the data.

4. How does µ < 1 relate to other statistical measures, such as p-values?

µ < 1 and p-values are both measures used in statistical analysis to determine the significance of results. However, while p-values indicate the probability of obtaining a result by chance, µ < 1 represents the size of the effect and the strength of the relationship between variables.

5. Can µ < 1 ever have a negative value?

No, µ < 1 cannot have a negative value. It is a measure of proportion or rate, and negative values do not make sense in this context. If a value is less than 1, it will always be positive.