What is the rebound height of a ball?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter radio
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Ball Height Rebound
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 5K views
radio
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
If I have the velocity an object is moving up (lets make it v here), and the mass (m), how do I calculate the height it bounces to, and by using the efficiency of the ball 60% and gravity as 10 (for simplicity), how do i calculate the original height? Assume there is no wind resistance.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, Radio.
Is this a homework question? If so, it's in the wrong section. Anyhow, there is not enough information given to solve the problem. For one thing, how do you expect a ball that's already moving upward to "bounce"? Off of the ceiling? Off of a wall? Off of a tennis racquet? What do you mean by the "efficiency" of the ball? Gravity is 10 what? That's not even a form in which gravity can be expressed (unless you mean 10xEarth gravity).
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: mechpeac
what is a suitable hypothesis for the height of rebound of a tennis ball
 
Need more information to solve. I assume coefficient of restitution is 0.6. I also don't understand gravity is 10.
 
mechpeac said:
Need more information to solve. I assume coefficient of restitution is 0.6. I also don't understand gravity is 10.
10 ms-2? If you assume velocity is v at h=0 there is enough information to calculate height using either equations of motion or energy conservation.