1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the relationship between the maginitude of the radial electric field an

1. Oct 20, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What is the relationship between the magnitude of a radial electric field and and its associated potential? Choose the correct general relationship?

2. Relevant equations

The following alternatives are given:
    a) E(r)= dV(r)/dr
    b) E(r)= V(r)/r
    c) E(r)= -dV(r)/dr
    d) E(r)= -V(r)/r

3. The attempt at a solution

I know the electric field is proportional to the inverse of (r^2) and the potential is proportional to the inverse of (r). My problem lies in understanding the calculus of the above formulas. Can anyone guide me through them please?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2009 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Welcome to PF, physicsMad!
    Think of any electric field, not necessarily the one from a point charge.
    You have a tiny test charge q that you want to push from point A to point B. A is considered to have an electric potential of zero volts. What is the potential at B? By definition it is the work done (energy given) per unit charge to move q from A to B. So work is W = F*r where r is the distance or, since the F = qE may well be changing as you go,
    dW = F*dr = qE*dr for each little increment in distance dr
    The potential is the work done per charge or
    dV = dW/q = E*dr
    You can turn this around to get E = dV/dr.

4. Oct 21, 2009 #3
    Thank you for the kind welcome Delphi51.

I can now understand much better than before due to your explanation. I really appreciate it. However, i forgot to mention that the point charge has positive charge. So, the work would be negative the change occurs from higher potential to lower potential. Am I on the right track? If my thinking is correct, I would choose equation E(r)= -dV(r)/r.

Thanks again :-)

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook