What is the Relativistic Mass of a Muon?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
mmcd051
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A muon traveling with negligible energy loss at v = 0.996c travels past a 4730m mountain. What is the relavitistic mass of the muon given the rest mass energy of 1.69 x 10^-11 joules?

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I think I should be using relativistic mass = m/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2). So m = 1.69 x 10^-11, however I am unsure how to imput the other values into the equation. The answer i need to find is 2.1 x 10^-27. Thanks for your help.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I do not understand the significance of the mountain to this question. Is there another question to this problem?

It is incorrect to say that m = 1.69x10-11 Joules. Mass (in kg) is related to energy (in Joules) through what famous equation?