What is the required length of wire A?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Drain Brain
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Length Wire
In summary: R&=R_1(1+\alpha_1 \Delta T) + R_2 (1+\alpha_2 \Delta T)\\&=(R_1+R_2)\left[1+\left(\frac{R_1 \alpha_1+R_2 \alpha_2}{R_1+R_2}\right)\Delta T\right]\end{aligned}$$We need the resistance of the composite wire at 1200 Ohms, so we need:$$\begin{aligned}R&=R_1(1+\alpha_1 \Delta T) + R_2 (1+
Drain Brain
two wires A and B made from two different materials have temperature coefficient of resistance equal to 0.0025 and 0.0005 ohm per degree Celsius respectively. It is desired to make a coil of wire having a resistance of 1200 ohms with a temperature coefficient of 0.001, using a suitable length of the two given wires connected in series. Determine the required length of wire A. ?I know that I have to use equations that relates resistance with temperature

[tex]\frac{R1}{R2} = \frac{(T+t1)}{(T+t2)}[/tex]

[tex]{\Delta}_{ t} = t2-t1[/tex]

but they don't seem useful for me solve the problem.

please help with this problem. Any electrical engineers out there I need your help.

regards

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Drain Brain said:
two wires A and B made from two different materials have temperature coefficient of resistance equal to 0.0025 and 0.0005 ohm per degree Celsius respectively. It is desired to make a coil of wire having a resistance of 1200 ohms with a temperature coefficient of 0.001, using a suitable length of the two given wires connected in series. Determine the required length of wire A. ?I know that I have to use equations that relates resistance with temperature

[tex]\frac{R1}{R2} = \frac{(T+t1)}{(T+t2)}[/tex]

[tex]{\Delta}_{ t} = t2-t1[/tex]

but they don't seem useful for me solve the problem.

please help with this problem. Any electrical engineers out there I need your help.

regards

You need at some point the resistance per unit length of the two wires.

Check units...

zzephod said:
You need at some point the resistance per unit length of the two wires.

Check units...

I still don't see it. :confused:

Drain Brain said:
I still don't see it. :confused:

There is not enough information in what you posted to solve this without some additional assumptions and or different units from those you have posted.

You have two unknowns the lengths $l_1$ and $l_2$ to solve for these you need to know the base resistances per unit length at the reference temperature $t_0$.

Also you need to know the difference between the reference temperature and the temperature at which you want the resistance to be 1200 Ohms.

Drain Brain said:
two wires A and B made from two different materials have temperature coefficient of resistance equal to 0.0025 and 0.0005 ohm per degree Celsius respectively. It is desired to make a coil of wire having a resistance of 1200 ohms with a temperature coefficient of 0.001, using a suitable length of the two given wires connected in series. Determine the required length of wire A. ?

To solve for the relative lengths of the 2 wires, assuming that the temperature coefficients are given as \[\frac{ohm}{(unit\,length)*(degree\,C)}\] (Also, I have multiplied temperature coefficients by 10,000 to minimize typing, this will not affect the answer.)
Then:

let X be the wire having TC=25 and x its length.
let Y be the wire having TC=5 and y its length.
Then to obtain a composite length of wire having TC = 10 we have:
\[\frac{25x + 5y}{x+y}=10\]
\[25x+5y = 10x+10y\]\[15x=5y\] \[3x=y\]
This gives you the necessary relative proportions of the 2 wires:
wire Y must be 3 times as long as wire X.

Now you need to know the resistance per unit length of these 2 wires so that you can calculate the necessary length of each to be combined to yield 1200 ohms.

Last edited:
DavidCampen said:
To solve for the relative lengths of the 2 wires, assuming that the temperature coefficients are given as \[\frac{ohm}{(unit\,length)*(degree\,C)}\] (Also, I have multiplied temperature coefficients by 10,000 to minimize typing, this will not affect the answer.)
Then:

let X be the wire having TC=25 and x its length.
let Y be the wire having TC=5 and y its length.
Then to obtain a composite length of wire having TC = 10 we have:
\[\frac{25x + 5y}{x+y}=10\]
\[25x+5y = 10x+10y\]\[15x=5y\] \[3x=y\]
This gives you the necessary relative proportions of the 2 wires:
wire Y must be 3 times as long as wire X.

Now you need to know the resistance per unit length of these 2 wires so that you can calculate the necessary length of each to be combined to yield 1200 ohms.

1. The normal definition of the temperature coefficient has different units, it has units of $K^{-1}$ not $\Omega K^{-1}$, that is it is the fractional change in resistance per Kelvin change in temperature.

2. If we assume that the units in the original question are wrong and the should just be the fractional change in resistance per Kelvin, and that we have specific resistances of the two wires of $r_1$ $\Omega m^{-1}$ and $r_2$ $\Omega m^{-1}$ at the reference temperature $T_0$ $K$, and lengths $l_1$ $m$ and $l_2$ $m$, we have the resistance of the two wires in series at temperature $T\ K$ is:

$$\begin{aligned}R(T)&=R_1(1+\alpha_1 \Delta T) + R_2 (1+\alpha_2 \Delta T)\\
&=R_1+R_2 + R_1\alpha_1 \Delta T + R_2 \alpha_2 \Delta T\\
&=(R_1+R_2)\left[1+\left(\frac{R_1 \alpha_1+R_2 \alpha_2}{R_1+R_2}\right)\Delta T\right]
\end{aligned}$$

where $R_1=r_1 l_1$, $R_2=r_2 l_2$, $\alpha_1$ and $\alpha_2$ are the two temperature coefficients, and $\Delta T=T-T_0$

So the temperature coefficient of the composite of the two wires in series is:

$$\alpha_3=\frac{R_1 \alpha_1+R_2 \alpha_2}{R_1+R_2} \ \ K^{-1}$$

But we require (at the base temperature presumably) that $R_1+R_2=r_1 l_1+r_2 l_2=1200 \ \Omega$, so we have:

$$\alpha_3=\frac{r_1 l_1 \alpha_1+r_2 l_2 \alpha_2}{1200} \ \ K^{-1}=0.001 \ K^{-1} $$

This can be simplified further to eliminate $r_1 l_1$ or $r_2 l_2$, which assuming the algebra is right gives:

$$\alpha_3=\alpha_1 + \frac{r_2 l_2(\alpha_2-\alpha_1)}{1200}=0.0025- \frac{0.002 r_2 l_2}{1200}=0.001$$

Which may be simplified to $R_2=r_2 l_2=900 \ \Omega$, and so $R_1=r_1 l_1=300 \ \Omega$.

Last edited:

Related to What is the required length of wire A?

1. How do you measure the length of a wire accurately?

To measure the length of a wire accurately, you will need a ruler or a measuring tape. Start by aligning one end of the wire with the zero mark on the ruler. Then, measure the wire by counting the number of units between the two ends. Make sure the wire is straight and taut for an accurate measurement.

2. Can the length of a wire be determined using its resistance?

Yes, the length of a wire can be determined using its resistance. The resistance of a wire is directly proportional to its length. This means that the longer the wire, the higher its resistance. By measuring the resistance of a wire and using the known resistance per unit length, the length of the wire can be calculated.

3. Does the material of the wire affect its length measurement?

Yes, the material of the wire can affect its length measurement. Different materials have different resistivities, which can affect the resistance of the wire. This means that the same length of wire made of different materials may have different resistance values, making it important to consider the material when measuring the length of a wire.

4. How does temperature affect the length measurement of a wire?

Temperature can affect the length measurement of a wire because it can change the resistance of the wire. As temperature increases, the resistance of the wire also increases. This means that the wire may appear longer when it is heated, and shorter when it is cooled. It is important to measure the length of a wire at a consistent temperature to get an accurate measurement.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when measuring the length of a wire?

Yes, there are some safety precautions to consider when measuring the length of a wire. Make sure the wire is not connected to any power source to avoid electric shock. Also, be careful when handling sharp edges of the wire to avoid injury. It is also important to use proper protective gear, such as gloves, when working with wires to protect your hands from any potential harm.