What is the resistance of the wire and its uncertainty?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 10K views
looi76
Messages
80
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


An experiment is done to measure the resistance of a wire.
The current in the wire is [tex]1.0 \pm 0.2A[/tex] and the potential difference across the wire is [tex]8.0 \pm 0.4V[/tex].
What is the resistance of the wire and its uncertainty?

Homework Equations


-------------

The Attempt at a Solution



[tex]\frac{0.2}{1.0} \times 100 = 20\%[/tex]

[tex]\frac{0.4}{8.0} \times 100 = 5\%[/tex]

Total Percentage Uncertainty = [tex]25\%[/tex]

How can I get the uncertainty?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
looi76 said:

Homework Statement


An experiment is done to measure the resistance of a wire.
The current in the wire is [tex]1.0 \pm 0.2A[/tex] and the potential difference across the wire is [tex]8.0 \pm 0.4V[/tex].
What is the resistance of the wire and its uncertainty?

Homework Equations


-------------

The Attempt at a Solution



[tex]\frac{0.2}{1.0} \times 100 = 20\%[/tex]

[tex]\frac{0.4}{8.0} \times 100 = 5\%[/tex]

Total Percentage Uncertainty = [tex]25\%[/tex]

How can I get the uncertainty?


Do you have a lab manual for your course? Sometimes they cover this in the introduction. Also, in this course, do they use calculus, or is it precalc?
 
I don't think this question need calculus! It is a multiple choice question and the choices are:
(A) [tex](8.0 \pm 0.2)\omega[/tex]
(B) [tex](8.0 \pm 0.6)\omega[/tex]
(C) [tex](8 \pm 1)\omega[/tex]
(D) [tex](8 \pm 2)\omega[/tex]
 
[itex]\omega[/itex]?...I think You mean [itex]\Omega[/itex]. You have been given the Voltage (V) and the Current (I). Use Ohm's law R = V/I to find the resistance. You can't add the percentages like that. Hint: You have to include the tolerance value of the Current and voltage in the formula.
 
looi76 said:
I don't think this question need calculus! It is a multiple choice question and the choices are:
(A) [tex](8.0 \pm 0.2)\omega[/tex]
(B) [tex](8.0 \pm 0.6)\omega[/tex]
(C) [tex](8 \pm 1)\omega[/tex]
(D) [tex](8 \pm 2)\omega[/tex]

Okay, which of those answers has a 25% uncertainty?