1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the resultant vector electric field at the point P?

1. Feb 26, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    There are 3 charges, each denoted q, the first at (0,a), the second at (0,0) and finally one at (b,0). What is the resultant electric field at point P, (b,a)?

2. Relevant equations
    E
    =q/(4πεo r2) for a point charge

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I know I need to use the superposition principle and sum the fields caused by the individual charges but I'm not sure whether I need to consider the fact that their fields wont necessarily be in the same direction.

My attempt gave me
    E= q/(4πεo (1/a2 + 1/b2 + 1/(a2 + b2)) in the direction the same as sqrt(a2 + b2).

Thanks for any help, I've been debating this with friends.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello again,

You really need to make a drawing. ##\vec E## is a vector, as is ##\vec F = q\vec E##. Fields add up, so you can calculate the forces separately and then add them up. Vector-wise, as is the habit when dealing with forces !

Oh, and ##\sqrt{a^2+b^2}## has no direction! It's a number, a scalar.

Oh, and E ##\propto## 1/r2, not 1/ ( 1/r2 )

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted