What is the resulting amperage from a Leyden jar discharge?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Juanka
Messages
37
Reaction score
0
I need to figure out how to correctly calculate the Current being created from a leyden jar I have. I am attaching a print screen of a matchcad calculation that shows what I have done. However, I am calculating extremely high amperage. I believe my calculation is correct down to my charge, but I do not know how to correctly relate my charge to the resulting amperage. Have a look! any suggestions please!
 
Attachments
  • LJ.PNG
    LJ.PNG
    4.7 KB · Views: 598
Physics news on Phys.org
If you discharge a near-ideal capacitor with an almost perfect conductor, there will be a momentary pulse of current approaching infinite amperes. Non-ideal components reduce the amplitude, and extend the duration.