Is my Leyden jar experiment properly designed?

In summary, the conversation covers the topic of creating a Leyden jar using a plastic cup, aluminium foil, and salt water. There is discussion about using a hand instead of the outer foil and how to charge the jar. Pictures are requested and the conversation shifts to discussing baby car seats, strollers, and walkers.
miraiw
I'm attempting to make a Leyden jar by taking a plastic cup, covering the inside with aluminium foil, and then filling the cup with salt water. I have a spring sticking through the centre that conducts through the inner foil.

Judging from the Wikipedia article on Leyden jars I can use my hand instead of the outer foil, but how do I charge it? I clamped the positive terminal of a 9V to the spring and held the outside of the cup, but I can't tell that any charge is being stored in the foil. Should I hold the negative terminal too or what?

I can provide a picture on request.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you go foil cup foil and then hook up both terminals . Could we see a picture of your setup please.

http://imagebin.org/139123
So I should put foil on the outside? I can see how that would work better, but it should work with my hand.

Last edited by a moderator:
so your are trying to get electrons to build up on the foil, Is your E field in the right direction.

cragar said:
Is your E field in the right direction.

What do you mean, exactly?

Thanks for the replies. It's at least working now.

What is a Leyden jar and how does it work?

A Leyden jar is a type of capacitor that stores electrical charge. It is made of a glass jar with metal foil on the inside and outside, separated by an insulating material. When charged with electricity, the jar can hold the charge until it is discharged.

How do I know if my Leyden jar experiment is properly designed?

There are several factors to consider when designing a Leyden jar experiment, such as the materials used, the size of the jar, and the voltage being applied. It is important to follow safety precautions and to have a clear understanding of the principles behind the experiment to ensure it is properly designed.

What are some common mistakes in Leyden jar experiments?

Some common mistakes include using materials that are not conductive, using a jar that is too small or too large, and not properly insulating the jar. It is also important to discharge the jar before handling it and to use appropriate safety gear.

How can I improve the design of my Leyden jar experiment?

To improve the design of your experiment, you can try different materials, change the size of the jar, or adjust the voltage being applied. It is also helpful to research and understand the principles of capacitance and how it relates to the Leyden jar.

What are some other applications of the Leyden jar?

In addition to its use in experiments, the Leyden jar has been used in various other applications such as medical devices, power supplies, and even in early forms of photography. It is also the basis for modern capacitors used in electronic devices.