1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

First Leyden Jar - experimenting.

1. Feb 16, 2008 #1
    I have just built a saltwater Leyden jar from a drink bottle and foil and am genuinely joyed that it produces a spark after charging from the TV screen. Good Fun.

So I understand that the charge lies on the interfaces between jar/foil and jar/saltwater. Then I googled "saltwater capacitor" and saw that some people have made devices using a bottle of saltwater sat in a bucket of saltwater, - so no foil.

So it occured to me that maybe my Leyden jar could be "turned inside out" by having a jarful of saltwater with a decent sized coil of insulated wire submerged in it, (each end trailing out of the jar.)

I was thinking of grounding the submerged wire. Then, sweeping the TV screen with a wire with a stripped end dipped in the saltwater.

Do you think this will work before I go and buy some more wire?

Any better ideas about grounding / charging?

Thanks for reading.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2008 #2
    Induction Charging an Electrolyte?

If you wanted to induce a -ve charge throughout a measuring cylinder of , say, saltwater how would you do it?

By earthing the inside of the cylinder and bringing a +ve charged object close?

Would the -ve charge reside solely on the wet inside surfaces of the measuring cylinder?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook