What is the resulting frequency of the oscillation?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
jimmyboykun
Messages
39
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A 0.31-kg mass is hanging from a spring with spring constant 13 N/m. Then the mass is displaced from the equilibrium by 3.3 cm and let go.

Homework Equations



for frequencthy the equation would be 1/T


The Attempt at a Solution



to T I would use this equation 2∏sqrtm/k
2∏sqrt0.033m/13N/m= 0.316566651s

1/0.316566651s= 3.158892436Hz
I got this wrong but, this is the only equation for frequency that I was taught in class. What did I do wrong.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
jimmyboykun said:
to T I would use this equation 2∏sqrtm/k
2∏sqrt0.033m/13N/m= 0.316566651s
In the equation, 'm' stands for the mass (measured in kg); you put in the displacement (measured in meters). Fix that!
 
ok got it, but what about the displacement? does it not play a role in the equation?
 
jimmyboykun said:
ok got it, but what about the displacement? does it not play a role in the equation?
Not in that equation, which is for the period. The period of oscillation (for SHM) does not depend on amplitude.