What is the role of rotor bars in single phase induction motors?

In summary, the author asserts that in a single phase induction motor, the backward field currents are larger than the forward field currents, and this causes the corresponding opposing rotor mmf to cause backward flux to be greatly reduced. However, the smaller forward currents leads to enhancement of forward flux wave.
ranju

Homework Statement

I studied that as the single phase motor speeds up the backward induced field currents are larger than the forward field currents. So , the corresponding opposing rotor mmf causes backward field to be greatly reduced whereas the smaller forward currents leads to enhancement of forward flux wave..
I am not getting this fact as if the backward current is higher so even the backward flux should be greater . Then , on what basis the forward flux is greater?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The backward field currents has a lower power factor whereas the forward currents have higher power factor .[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Ahhhh single phase motors

i don't have right now a good word picture to paint for you.

I've done this hands on experiment hundreds of times :
energize a single phase motor with start winding disconnected
hear and feel it hum as locked rotor amps vibrate the windings
give it a spin either direction, watch it smoothly accelerate and grow quieter and feel vibration diminish.

Clearly something cancels out nearly all of one of those counter-rotating fluxes.Here's a link with some mathematics trying to explain it
but to me he does it in a roundabout manner
http://ee.lamar.edu/gleb/tps/Lecture%2003%20-%20Special-Purpose%20Motors.pdf
upload_2016-1-16_6-32-0.png

Since, in that equivalent circuit, resistance is where torque is produced , most of the torque will appear in the upper resistor

ranju said:
I am not getting this fact as if the backward current is higher so even the backward flux should be greater . Then , on what basis the forward flux is greater?
His mathematical explanation, same link

upload_2016-1-16_6-46-15.png

ranju said:

Hmmm... see if these words help you accept what we empirically know to be true... and what the author cited above asserts:

Remember an induction motor is essentially a transformer with shorted secondary.
Since in a transformer secondary mmf cancels primary mmf, backward component of current in rotor cancels backward component of primary mmf...

actually i think it only cancels most of it. Single phase motors do have small pulsating torque at 2x line frequency.

Any help ?

Clearly my thinking on this subject needs some polishing. I look forward to your improved presentation.

old jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes cnh1995
I'm still trying to reconcile what happens at the rotor... a physical picture not an equation

The key to an intuitive picture i think lies iwith envisioning the rotor bars and their relation to the stator poles.
I might try to draw something when get back home...Envision a simple two pole machine with one turn stator windings, one per pole at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock.
Freeze frame your thinking to instant of maximum flux, stator voltage zero crossing
Next , envision the rotor bars in plane 3 o'clock-9 o'clock; clearly they're perpendicular to flux so link it all
and they're the ones that cancel stator flux

next envision the rotor bars in plane 11:59 o'clock-5:59 o'clock not quite aligned with poles
they link very little flux
but what happens if the rotor is turning slowly ?
Flux linked by 3-9 o'clock loop is not changing
but flux linked by 11:59-5:59 o'clock loop is changing considerably.. Lenz will try to do something about that...

old gray cells are not quite there yet

how're your younger ones ?

old jim

1. What is a single phase induction motor?

A single phase induction motor is a type of electric motor that is used in many household appliances and small industrial machines. It is designed to convert electrical energy into mechanical energy, and operates on a single phase AC power supply.

2. How does a single phase induction motor work?

A single phase induction motor works by using electromagnetic induction to create a rotating magnetic field. This field interacts with the motor's rotor, causing it to rotate and produce mechanical energy.

3. What are the advantages of using a single phase induction motor?

One of the main advantages of using a single phase induction motor is its simplicity and low cost. It also has a high starting torque, making it suitable for applications that require high starting loads. Additionally, it does not require a separate starting mechanism like a capacitor or starter, making it more compact and reliable.

4. What are the applications of a single phase induction motor?

A single phase induction motor is commonly used in household appliances such as fans, refrigerators, and air conditioners. It is also used in small industrial machines such as pumps, compressors, and conveyor belts.

5. How do you maintain a single phase induction motor?

To maintain a single phase induction motor, it is important to regularly check and replace worn out parts such as bearings and brushes. The motor should also be kept clean and free of dust and debris. It is recommended to have a professional technician perform regular maintenance and repairs to ensure the motor continues to operate efficiently.