What is the significance of global fit in EW precision tests?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter fortuneteller
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Fit Global Test
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
fortuneteller
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
I always hear that the "global fit" EW precision test. It seems that I understand it a little. But I am still very clear. Who can shed light on it?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you expand a bit, your language is not quite correct.

Do you have some examples on where you have read this?
 
afaik "global fit" means fitting data of different experiments from all over the world
 
It can also refer to fitting several different experimentally-measured quantities (for example, masses of the W and Z bosons, Z boson partial decay widths and decay asymmetries) to extract parameters that appear in theoretical calculations of all of these quantities (such as the Peskin-Takeuchi S and T parameters).