1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the significance of sqrt{2gh} ?

1. Apr 22, 2010 #1
    Hi, I'm not sure how to word my question, so I will just state it upfront.

What is the importance of [tex]\upsilon[/tex] = [tex]\sqrt{2gh}[/tex] in physics?

I've seen it in escape velocity problems, though with an R instead of h. I've seen it with conservation of momentum applications, and it's similar to PE = mgh. Yesterday my professor was discussing Bernoulli's equation and this equation came up again.

I was just wondering how it can be applied to so many different situations...

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi acspin! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have a square-root: √ :wink:)

It's because v2 is KE per mass.

Whenever KE + PE =constant, you'll have equations involving v2 = PE/m, which in some cases is gh.

As to Bernouli's equation, that's just conservation of energy applied to a fluid, and both KE and PE appear in it. :smile:

4. Apr 23, 2010 #3
    When acceleration is constant, say along the x-axis, then it is necessarily true that

v^2=2ax. (where v at time t=0 is zero).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook