What is the source of my confusion about inequality?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Miike012
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Inequality
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Miike012
Messages
1,009
Reaction score
0
I posted the paragraph with the inequality where I am confused...

I also added a portion i highlighted in red
 
Attachments
  • math.jpg
    math.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 565
Physics news on Phys.org
Miike012 said:
I posted the paragraph with the inequality where I am confused...

I also added a portion i highlighted in red

The text in the image is not very clear. One of the 'I's appears to have a line on the bottom, the other has the line on top.

Regardless, the portion in the red box looks nonsensical. Everything before that makes sense.

Let the s integral be represented by S, and the t integral be represented by T. Let's call the first I with the bar on the bottom A and the second I with the bar on top B.

So the inequalities are:

[itex]S \leq A \leq T[/itex] ---(1)

and [itex]S \leq B \leq T[/itex] ---(2)

Take (-1) times inequality 1. Remember to reverse all the signs:

[itex]-S \geq -A \geq -T[/itex]

Reverse the order of the terms (just write it backward):

[itex]-T \leq -A \leq -S[/itex] ---(3)

Add (3) to (2):

[itex]S-T \leq B-A \leq T-S[/itex]

and the latter half of that is what's given in the attachment (before the red box).

What's in the red box looks wrong as I said - was that in the original?