What is the specific heat of boiling water converting into steam?

In summary, the specific heat of boiling water converting into steam is 2.03 joules/gram °C. It is typically measured using a calorimeter and can be affected by factors such as pressure, volume, and impurities. As water turns into steam, the specific heat decreases. It is important to know the specific heat in various industries for determining energy requirements and process efficiency, as well as for cooking purposes.
Kehkashan
What is the specific heat of boiling water converting into steam?

Physics news on Phys.org
The specific heat would be infinite.

Likes Kehkashan
How?

s=Q/mδT
Since boiling of water is an isothermal process therefore
s=Q/m×0=∞
Simple...

Likes Kehkashan
Thank you very much

Can I check you really meant "specific heat"?

I second cwatters: are you sure you didn't mean heat of vaporization or enthalpy of vaporization? otherwise abullais is right.

No I am sure. I never meant that the answer seems to be correct in my book that's why I agreed with that guy I mean abullais.

1. What is the specific heat of boiling water converting into steam?

The specific heat of boiling water converting into steam is 2.03 joules/gram °C. This means that it takes 2.03 joules of energy to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water by 1 degree Celsius.

2. How is the specific heat of boiling water measured?

The specific heat of boiling water is typically measured using a calorimeter, which is an insulated container used to measure the transfer of heat. The amount of energy required to raise the temperature of a known amount of water is measured, and then the specific heat can be calculated.

3. Does the specific heat of boiling water change as it turns into steam?

Yes, the specific heat of boiling water changes as it turns into steam. This is because as water changes from a liquid to a gas, the molecules become more spread out and less dense, causing the specific heat to decrease.

4. What factors can affect the specific heat of boiling water converting into steam?

The specific heat of boiling water can be affected by factors such as pressure, volume, and the presence of impurities. For example, increasing the pressure on water can increase its specific heat, while adding impurities can decrease it.

5. Why is it important to know the specific heat of boiling water converting into steam?

Knowing the specific heat of boiling water converting into steam is important in various industries, such as power generation and food processing. It helps in determining the amount of energy needed to heat water and the efficiency of processes like steam turbines. It also aids in calculating the cooking time and temperature needed for different foods.