What Is the Speed of a Proton Between Two Plates with a 60V Difference?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Destrio
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Electrostatics
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Destrio
Messages
211
Reaction score
0
1. The problem statement, all variables and 'given'/'known' data
A proton accelerates from rest from plate X to plate Y. If the potential difference between the 2 plates is 60.0V, what is the speed of the proton when it reaches plate Y?

2. Governing equations
V = E/q
Ekf - 1/2mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution


E = (60V)(1.6x10^-19C)
E = 9.6x10^-18 V/m

Ekf = 1/2mv^2
9.6E-18 J = 1/2(9.11x10^-31kg)v^2EDIT: added units

And when I solve for v my answer is not correct. So I'm making a mistake somewhere.

Thanks
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Good job posting the question. I'm having trouble checking your work because units are not shown throughout. Could you please include units on things like the 1.6x10^-19 term, etc.? Thanks.
 
Oh dear, how could I mix that up.

I did it as an electron...

Problem solved, thanks