What is the speed of the bullet in a ballistic pendulum collision?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 17K views
nns91
Messages
301
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement



A 16g bullet is fired into the bob of a ballistic pendulum of mass 1.5kg When the bob is at its maximum height, the strings make an angle of 60 degree with the vertical. The length of the pendulum is 2.3 m. Find the speed of the bullet.

Homework Equations



pi=pf

The Attempt at a Solution



So I think it is an inelastic collision so vf = (mbullet*vbullet) / (mbullet+mblock)

After collision:

(1/2)*(mbullet+mblock)vf2 = (mbullet+mblock)*g*h

h=2.3-2.3*cos60=1.15m

then I solved for vf2=2*9.981*1.15=22.563

the I substitute into the first formula ( I actually squared both sides to use vf^2) to find vbullet= 346.2 m/s. However it is wrong. Where did I do wrong ??
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Cool. I found out that I got the wrong mass for the last computation, I put in 1.15 instead of 1.5