What is the student experience like at Carleton University in Ottawa?

  • Topic: Schools 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Calcotron
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    University
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
Calcotron
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
Anyone have any idea what Carleton University in Ottawa is like? I am really considering going there for University next year. Has anyone gone there/known someone who has?

Thanks in advance.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I've taken a few classes there; what would you like to know? Are you looking at grad or undergrad?

They have very good people in particle physics and medical physics, and are rated first in Canada in impact factor. Fairly laid back department with good research opportunities for undergrads, and its physics department is associated with uOttawa's if you wish to do research in different fields.

Ask away whatever you wish to know.
 
Thanks for the response. I am talking about for undergrad and was really wondering about the overall atmosphere of the department. I was also looking for a pretty laid back environment so I would really enjoy that. How about the class sizes? I really do not want to end up being lost in a crowd.
 
Carleton is a smaller university, and although I haven't taken any undergrad courses there, most of your classes are going to have about 15 or so students (except first-year lecture halls, where you will be lose in a crowd). You'll definitely get to know the profs fairly well. The atmosphere is somewhat informal, in the sense that they're there to teach you physics and possibly help you get started with research, and there is very little administrative bs.

On the other hand, some courses are probably a bit weaker than at some other universities (i.e., compared to, say, toronto or bigger american schools), although a lot of students compensate for that by taking graduate courses in their final year.
 
So here's the million dollar question, would you recommend Carleton for someone who (currently) wants to go to graduate school?
 
Sure. Choice of school has practically nothing to do with entering grad school, provided you can learn material and get research experience (and really, all you need is a library, a phone and determination to get those).

Carleton is one of the best places to do undergrad research (at least, provided you like particle physics or medical physics); that'll look good on any grad school application.

If you don't live in Ottawa right now, I'm not sure if they'd be my first choice, but if you do, then yeah, you should definitely consider going there (or uOttawa, which is practically the same, only slightly larger / better courses / less well-known research - although you're allowed to take uOttawa courses while at carleton, and vice versa).