What is the temperature of the bath?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the resistance of a segment of gold wire at different temperatures. At 50 degrees Celsius, the resistance is 54. When placed in a liquid bath, the resistance increases to 189. The temperature coefficient is 0.0034 (degrees Celsius)^-1 at 20 degrees Celsius. To determine the temperature of the bath, an equation is used, resulting in a temperature of 785.29 degrees Celsius.
lw11011
At 50 degrees Celsius, the resistance of a segment of gold wire is 54. When the wire is placed in a liquid bath, the resistance increases to 189. The temperature coefficient is 0.0034 (degrees Celsius)^-1 at 20 degrees Celsius.
What is the temperature of the bath? Answer in units of degrees Celsius.

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you done so far?

I tried to use the equation:
p-po = (po)a(T-To)
To= reference temperature
po= resistivity at that temperature
a= temperature coefficient of resistivity

So I did:
189-54 = (54)(0.0034)(T-50)

But I know the answer I got that way is wrong.

It sure looks to me like you've got the right equation. Are you sure you solved it correctly?

The form of the equation that I am familiar with is

[tex]R = \alpha T[/tex]

where T is given in degrees Kelvin. But this reduces to your form in either degrees K or degrees C (or F).

Carl

When I use the formula I mentioned above, I get T=785.29 degrees Celsius. I don't know if I solved it incorrectly but I did:
189-54=(54)(0.0034)(T-50)
135=(0.1836)(T-50)
735.29=T-50
T= 785.29

Sure looks right to me. But that's a mighty hot bath. Maybe a molten salt bath.

Carl

What is the temperature of the bath?

The temperature of the bath can vary depending on a few factors such as the type of bath (e.g. hot tub, bathtub, etc.), the source of heat, and personal preference. Typically, the temperature of a hot bath ranges from 100-104 degrees Fahrenheit.

What is the ideal temperature for a bath?

The ideal temperature for a bath can vary from person to person. However, most experts recommend a temperature between 98-104 degrees Fahrenheit. It is important to consider personal comfort and any health conditions when determining the ideal temperature for a bath.

What is the best way to measure the temperature of a bath?

The best way to measure the temperature of a bath is by using a thermometer specifically designed for bathwater. These thermometers are typically waterproof and can provide an accurate reading of the water temperature. Alternatively, you can use an infrared thermometer to measure the surface temperature of the water.

Can the temperature of a bath affect skin health?

Yes, the temperature of a bath can affect skin health. Water that is too hot can strip the skin of its natural oils and lead to dryness, irritation, and even burns. On the other hand, water that is too cold may not effectively clean the skin. It is important to find a temperature that is comfortable for you and does not cause any negative effects on your skin.

Does the temperature of a bath affect its therapeutic benefits?

The temperature of a bath can affect its therapeutic benefits. For example, a warm bath can help relax muscles and reduce stress, while a cold bath can help reduce inflammation and soothe sore muscles. It is important to research and consider the temperature recommendations for specific therapeutic benefits when taking a bath.