What is the Tensile Stress, Strain, and Young's Modulus of a Stretched Wire?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 23K views
h8torade
Messages
5
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A load of 172 kg is supported by a wire of length 2.07m and cross-sectional area .143cm^2. The wire is stretched by 0.149 cm. Find tensile stress, strain, and Young's modulus.


Homework Equations



stress= F/A
strain= ∆L/L
E= stress/strain

The Attempt at a Solution



1685.6 N /.00143 m^2 = 1.17874e6 N/m^2 <---this one I need help with

.00149 m / 2.07 m = .00072 <--- I know this one is right

1.17874e6 N/m^2 / .00072 = 1.63758e9 N/m^2
 
Physics news on Phys.org
h8torade said:
1685.6 N /.00143 m^2 = 1.17874e6 N/m^2 <---this one I need help with
Careful with units: 1 cm^2 = (0.01m)^2 = 0.0001 m^2
 
so the answer to the stress is 1685.6 N / .0000143 m^2 = 1.17874e8

which makes E = 1.63714e11
 
Last edited: