Problem about tensile stress during thermal contraction

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving tension in steel and copper wires at different temperatures. The solution presented involves using Young's Modulus and thermal coefficients to calculate the amount of stretching and contraction in the wires. The final value for tension, F, is calculated, but there is a discrepancy with the answer in the book. The conversation ends with the realization that there may have been a math mistake in the calculations.
issacnewton
Hi

I am trying to solve this problem. I will present my solution though I couldn't get the tension right.

At 40 Celsius , there is no tension in the wire. When the wires are cooled , they contract and the tension increases. But the tensile stress, which is force per unit area, will remain the same for both the wires, even if they are different in constitution.
I am neglecting the increase in radius, hence the area of the wires, because its negligible.

When the tensions develop , let the steel wire be stretched by amount [itex]\Delta x_s[/itex]
from its reduced length Ls. Similarly, let copper wire be stretched by amount
[itex]\Delta x_c[/itex] from its reduced length Lc. Let L = 2 m be the original length of each wire. Since

[tex]\mbox{Young's Modulus}\, =\frac{\mbox{Tensile Stress}}{\mbox{Tensile Strain}}[/tex]

we have

[tex]\frac{F}{A}= Y_s \,\frac{\Delta x_s}{L_s} = Y_c \,\frac{\Delta x_c}{L_c}[/tex]

where Ys and Yc are Young's Moduli for the steel and copper.
They are

[tex]Y_s=20 \times 10^{10} N/m^2 [/tex]

[tex]Y_c= 11 \times 10^{10} N/m^2 [/tex]

so from above equation, we get , rearranging

[tex] \Delta x_s = \left(\frac{Y_c}{Y_s}\right)\left(\frac{L_s}{L_c}\right) \Delta x_c [/tex]

Since amount of stretching must be equal to the thermal contraction, we have

[tex] \Delta x_s + \Delta x_c= \Delta L_s + \Delta L_c [/tex]

where [itex] \Delta L_s \cdots \Delta L_c [/itex] are change in the length of the steel and copper rods due to cooling. Also note that

[tex] L_s = L\left[1-\alpha_s (\Delta T) \right] [/tex]

[tex] L_c= L\left[1-\alpha_c(\Delta T) \right] [/tex]

where [itex]\alpha_s \cdots \alpha_c [/itex] are Linear thermal coefficients of the steel and the copper respectively.

So, we have two equations in variables, [itex]\Delta x_s[/itex] and [itex]\Delta x_c[/itex]

we can solve for one of them now.

[tex] \Delta x_c=\left[1+\frac{Y_c}{Y_s}\frac{(1-\alpha_s \Delta T)}{(1-\alpha_c \Delta T)} \right]^{-1} L (\alpha_s +\alpha_c) \Delta T [/tex]

The values for [itex]\alpha_s \cdots \alpha_c [/itex] are

[tex]\alpha_s = 11 \times 10^{-6} (^{\circ}C)^{-1} [/tex]
[tex]\alpha_c=17 \times 10^{-6} (^{\circ}C)^{-1} [/tex]

solving we get, for various quantities described above,

[tex]\Delta x_c= 7.2555 \times 10^{-4} m [/tex]

[tex]\Delta L_c=\alpha_c L(\Delta T) =(17 \times 10^{-6})(2)(20)=6.8 \times 10^{-4} m[/tex]

[tex]\Delta L_s=\alpha_s L(\Delta T) =(11 \times 10^{-6})(2)(20)=4.4 \times 10^{-4} m[/tex]

[tex]\Delta x_s =\Delta L_s + \Delta L_c -\Delta x_c [/tex]

[tex] \Delta x_s = 3.97 \times 10^{-4} m [/tex]

and the junction shifts by the distance of , say k,

[tex]k= \Delta L_s - \Delta x_s=\Delta x_c - \Delta L_c = 0.43 \times 10^{-4} m [/tex]

Now the tension , F is given by

[tex]F= Y_s(A)\frac{\Delta x_s}{L(1-\alpha_s \Delta T)} = 119.093 \, N [/tex]

I got the value of k right, but the book's answer for F is 125 N. Is there anything wrong with
the calculations ?

I had taken the value of [itex]\Delta T = 20^{\circ}\, C [/itex], as positive.

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    37.2 KB · Views: 518
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
any inputs ... anybody ?

hi IssacNewton! :smile:
IssacNewton said:
[tex]Y_s=20 \times 10^{10} N/m^2 [/tex]

[tex] \Delta x_s = 3.97 \times 10^{-4} m [/tex]

Now the tension , F is given by

[tex]F= Y_s(A)\frac{\Delta x_s}{L(1-\alpha_s \Delta T)} = 119.093 \, N [/tex]

I got the value of k right, but the book's answer for F is 125 N. Is there anything wrong with
the calculations ?

I had taken the value of [itex]\Delta T = 20^{\circ}\, C [/itex], as positive.

i do get about 125 N :confused:

Oh no...:cry:

math mistakes...:tongue2:

But in this case, the thermal contraction would actually cause the wire to expand. So, the value of \Delta T should be negative, i.e. -20^{\circ} \, C . This would result in a negative value for \Delta x_c and a positive value for \Delta x_s, which would give a tension of 125 N. So, the issue was with the sign of \Delta T.

Additionally, it is important to note that the values of Young's Moduli for steel and copper may vary depending on the specific composition and properties of the materials being used. These values are just estimates and may not be exact for the materials in the problem. This could also contribute to a slight difference in the final tension value. It is always important to double check the values used in calculations to ensure accuracy.

1. What is tensile stress during thermal contraction?

Tensile stress during thermal contraction is the force that is exerted on a material when it is subjected to thermal contraction, or a decrease in temperature. This stress occurs when the material tries to resist the decrease in size due to the change in temperature.

2. How does tensile stress during thermal contraction affect materials?

Tensile stress during thermal contraction can cause materials to deform, crack, or even break if the stress is too great. This can be particularly damaging in materials with low ductility, as they are less able to withstand the force of the stress.

3. How can tensile stress during thermal contraction be minimized or controlled?

Tensile stress during thermal contraction can be minimized or controlled by using materials with high ductility, such as metals, which are better able to withstand the stress. Additionally, proper design and installation techniques, such as incorporating expansion joints, can help to reduce the effects of thermal contraction.

4. What are some real-world applications of tensile stress during thermal contraction?

Tensile stress during thermal contraction is a common issue in many industries, such as construction and engineering. For example, bridges and buildings must be designed to withstand the stress caused by thermal contraction in order to prevent structural damage. It also plays a role in the design of pipelines, as they must be able to expand and contract without compromising their integrity.

5. How is tensile stress during thermal contraction different from other types of stress?

Tensile stress during thermal contraction is a specific type of stress that occurs due to a change in temperature. It differs from other types of stress, such as tensile stress caused by external forces or compressive stress caused by a decrease in size, in that it is caused by a change in the material's own temperature rather than an external force or pressure.