What is the tension in a swinging vine with a given mass and velocity?

  • Thread starter Thread starter stressedout09
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Circular
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
stressedout09
Messages
8
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Jill of the Jungle swings on a vine 6.6 m long. What is the tension in the vine if Jill, whose mass is 61 kg, is moving at 2.6 m/s when the vine is vertical?

Homework Equations


F=mv^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution


F=(61)(2.6^2)/6.6
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
When Jill is just hanging on a vine, what is the tension in the vine?
When Jill is moving with a velocity, what additional tension is added to the vine?
 
rl.bhat said:
When Jill is just hanging on a vine, what is the tension in the vine?
When Jill is moving with a velocity, what additional tension is added to the vine?

I'm sorry I still do not understand how to go about setting up the equation...I tried going over examples in my book for this type of circular motion but there does not seem to be any so I am beyond confused...I know that once I figure it out I will feel completely stupid but for now, I am just stumped. -_-
 
Total tension = tension due to centripetal force + tension due to weight.