1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the tension on the line when the elevator is accelerating

1. Mar 21, 2006 #1
    An elevator weighs 10000N. What is the tension on the line when the elevator is accelerating upwards at 3 m/s?

I don't know how to go about this one. Any help?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2006 #2
    Well, acceleration is in [itex] \frac {m}{s^2} [/tex]. Is that a typo? Also, what is newtons first law?

4. Mar 22, 2006 #3
    And after you recall Newton's first law, be sure to draw a force diagram before solving the problem. This will help ensure that you get the signs correct (arrows pointing in opposite directions will have opposite signs).

5. Mar 22, 2006 #4

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I agree with drawing a free body diagram (this should always be the first step in that type of question) but I think that everybody meant Newton's *second* law...

Patrick

6. Mar 22, 2006 #5

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm sorry to be pedantic but the units of acceleration are not [itex]m/s[/itex], they are [itex]m/s^2[/itex].

There are two questions that you should ask yourself when doing this question;

(1) What is the tension in the wire when the elevator is stationary? I.e. what force is required to balance the weight of the elevator?

(2) What additional force is required to accelerate the elevator at [itex]3 m/s^2[/itex]? Hint: For this one you will need to use Newton's second law as nrqed said.

Hope this helps
    -Hoot:smile:

7. Mar 22, 2006 #6
    Whoops. I was like a sheep, following right over the edge of a cliff.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?