1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the terminology for this geometry ratio?

  1. Sep 22, 2013 #1
    So if we imagine a rectangle. The aspect ratio is width/height.
    What if you want the ratio of the parallel sides? Is there a terminnology for that ratio?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2013 #2
    That ratio is always unity. Why would you need a special word for that?
  4. Sep 22, 2013 #3
    Sorry, my example was a bad one. The actual shape I'm interested in is a trapezoid which I think, theoretically, does not have an aspect ratio defined, but for the purposes of my project I have one defined. If you imagine a trapezoid with the parallel sides oriented vertically, is there a ratio for the parallel sides?
  5. Sep 22, 2013 #4
    Unclear: do you want to know whether a special name for this ratio exits, or do you want to find some equation for it?
  6. Sep 22, 2013 #5
    The name.
  7. Sep 22, 2013 #6
    I am not aware of any special for that.
  8. Sep 23, 2013 #7


    Staff: Mentor

    Nor am I. The reason there's a name for the ratio of the length to the width of a rectangle is because TV screens, theater screens, and computer monitors are all rectangular, but can have different aspect ratios. There isn't any similar real-world use for trapezoidal image formats, so it's doubtful anyone has come up with a name.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook