Chemical terminology for an electron in water

In summary, according to the paper, hydrated electrons are those that are solvated in water, and aquated electrons are those that are hydrated in water but not solvated.
rwooduk
I've read several papers that talk about electrons in water, clearly they don't last very long as they react quickly with the oxygen. But I'm confused about the terminology they use, some call them solvated electrons, some hydrated electrons and others aquated electrons.

I can't seem to find a place that uses more than one of the above, so I'm assuming they are the same thing? Or are they different? Is it a question of terminology or do they mean something different?

Thanks again for any help with this.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I do not have specific knowledge about this, but were I to see those different terms in scientific papers, I would assume that they all mean the same thing.

Hydrated will mean the same thing as solvated when water is the solvent. I've never head the term "aquated" before (only "aqueous"), and venture to guess that it comes from researchers whose mother tongue is not English. The word is not found in the OED.

Likes jim mcnamara and rwooduk
DrClaude said:
I do not have specific knowledge about this, but were I to see those different terms in scientific papers, I would assume that they all mean the same thing.

Hydrated will mean the same thing as solvated when water is the solvent. I've never head the term "aquated" before (only "aqueous"), and venture to guess that it comes from researchers whose mother tongue is not English. The word is not found in the OED.

Yes I thought the same thing. Thanks very much for your opinion on this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solvated_electron - I believe solvated is a broader category than hydrated (which suggests water as a solvent).

But when it is clear the solvent is water solvated and hydrated would mean the same. At least to me.

Likes rwooduk
When I did my thesis my thesis, in the neighbouring department they were doing measurements on the various stages of electron solvation and hydration, specifically, using ultrashort laser pulse spectroscopy. There were various stages identified, like e.g. "wet electrons".
Here is a citation of their paper:
https://aip.scitation.org/doi/10.1063/1.2155481

Likes rwooduk
DrDu said:
When I did my thesis my thesis, in the neighbouring department they were doing measurements on the various stages of electron solvation and hydration, specifically, using ultrashort laser pulse spectroscopy. There were various stages identified, like e.g. "wet electrons".
Here is a citation of their paper:
https://aip.scitation.org/doi/10.1063/1.2155481

This could be very useful for me, thanks.

1. What is an electron?

An electron is a subatomic particle that carries a negative charge and is a fundamental component of matter. It is located outside the nucleus of an atom and is involved in chemical reactions and electricity.

2. How is an electron represented in chemical terminology?

In chemical terminology, an electron is typically represented as "e-". This notation indicates the negative charge and location of the electron in an atom's electron cloud.

3. How does an electron behave in water?

In water, electrons are involved in chemical reactions between molecules. They are also affected by the polarity of water molecules, which can cause them to be attracted or repelled by certain substances.

4. What is the role of electrons in the formation of water?

The formation of water involves the sharing of electrons between two hydrogen atoms and one oxygen atom. This sharing of electrons allows for the chemical bond that holds the water molecule together.

5. Can an electron be found in pure water?

Yes, an electron can be found in pure water. However, it is typically found in a paired form with a proton, forming a hydronium ion (H3O+). In pure water, the concentration of hydronium ions is very low, making it a neutral solution.