Chemical terminology for an electron in water

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
rwooduk
Messages
757
Reaction score
59
I've read several papers that talk about electrons in water, clearly they don't last very long as they react quickly with the oxygen. But I'm confused about the terminology they use, some call them solvated electrons, some hydrated electrons and others aquated electrons.

I can't seem to find a place that uses more than one of the above, so I'm assuming they are the same thing? Or are they different? Is it a question of terminology or do they mean something different?

Thanks again for any help with this.
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
I do not have specific knowledge about this, but were I to see those different terms in scientific papers, I would assume that they all mean the same thing.

Hydrated will mean the same thing as solvated when water is the solvent. I've never head the term "aquated" before (only "aqueous"), and venture to guess that it comes from researchers whose mother tongue is not English. The word is not found in the OED.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: jim mcnamara and rwooduk
DrClaude said:
I do not have specific knowledge about this, but were I to see those different terms in scientific papers, I would assume that they all mean the same thing.

Hydrated will mean the same thing as solvated when water is the solvent. I've never head the term "aquated" before (only "aqueous"), and venture to guess that it comes from researchers whose mother tongue is not English. The word is not found in the OED.

Yes I thought the same thing. Thanks very much for your opinion on this.
 
When I did my thesis my thesis, in the neighbouring department they were doing measurements on the various stages of electron solvation and hydration, specifically, using ultrashort laser pulse spectroscopy. There were various stages identified, like e.g. "wet electrons".
Here is a citation of their paper:
https://aip.scitation.org/doi/10.1063/1.2155481
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: rwooduk
DrDu said:
When I did my thesis my thesis, in the neighbouring department they were doing measurements on the various stages of electron solvation and hydration, specifically, using ultrashort laser pulse spectroscopy. There were various stages identified, like e.g. "wet electrons".
Here is a citation of their paper:
https://aip.scitation.org/doi/10.1063/1.2155481

This could be very useful for me, thanks.