What is the Time Dependent of a Particle in an Infinite Square Well Potential?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
20 replies · 7K views
Fourier mn

Homework Statement


consider a particle of mass m in the ground state of an infinite square well potential width L/2. What is the probability of detecting the particle at x=L/4 in a range of [tex]\Delta[/tex]x=0.01L (d not integrate)? Assume that the particle is in the normalized state [tex]\Psi[/tex](x,0)=c1[tex]\Psi[/tex]1+c2[tex]\Psi[/tex]2, what is the time dependent?


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


Help, i don't know from where to start even...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If you WERE allowed to integrate to get the probability, would you know what to do?
 
i would integrate the wavefunction (multiplied by its complex part) to find <x> and <x^2>, and then use the uncertainty. isn't <x> always zero though?
 
Close, but not quite. If you wanted to know the probability of finding the particle between [tex]x[/tex] and [tex]\Delta x[/tex] you would get it from
[tex]P = \int_x^{x+\Delta x} \Psi^* \Psi dx[/tex].
Now think about what a definite integral "means" and find an approximation to the integral if [tex]\Delta x[/tex] is really small. Maybe drawing a picture would help. You do not have to integrate.
 
So I need from 0 to L/4 in increments of 0.01L, if delta x is really small isn't just going to be the wavefunction multiplied by itself with x=L/4. I mean i know that a definite integral is the area under the curve, maybe just the function where x=L/4 multiplied by 0.01L?
 
You're very close. But your not interested in the particle between 0 and L/4. You are interested in a small interval AROUND L/4. Catch my drift?
 
Wait!. I should've read your reply to the end. Your last statement
"maybe just the function where x=L/4 multiplied by 0.01L?"
is 99 percent right. Just use the probability AMPLITUDE instead of the wavefunction itself.
 
ohhh...thanks. I've already started taking the limit...lol. I'll do that instead
 
so for the first part i got 0.04 (4%), and the second part is just an infinite series.
now, I'm asked to find the expectation values of energy <E>. Is that just--
<E>=[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\Psi(x,t)*[/tex][tex]\Psi(x,t)[/tex][tex]H[/tex]dx?
 
actually I got 8% on the first part. for the second part i got <E>=E.
Another question- "now that the wave function returned to the ground state. at t=0 the well suddenly changes to an infinite square well of width L without affecting the wave function. find the probability that a measurement of energy right after the expansion will yield E=(h bar*Pi)^2/(2mL^2)?


Isnt it a stationary state===> thus the probability never changes and stays 1?
 
It is in a stationary state for the OLD well. The NEW well has different stationary states. You have to write your state as a linear combo of the NEW stationary states.
 
but it states in the question that the width changes without affecting the wave function
 
Right. But when the width changes, you have NEW eigenfunctions (i.e. stationary states). So your old state is no longer one of the stationary states for the new problem.
 
<E>=[tex]\Sigma[/tex]C^2nEn
where [tex]\Sigma[/tex]C^2n=1
P1=C^21=1, thus, the probability of E didnt change b/c the expectation value of E didnt change.
 
You can't tell much about the probability from the expectation value. They aren't really related.
 
Ok. You are partly right. It seems to me that the state IS still a stationary state, but now it is NOT the ground state anymore. The state corresponds to an eigenvalue that is not the one for n=1.
 
I don't know why the heck my last reply didn't show up.
It turns out that your state is actually a stationary state (even after the expansion), but the catch is that it is not the "ground" state for the new well. You diggin' what I'm buryin'?
 
Actually, I just didn't know to go to page 2. All my replies are there :)
You got it! That's great. Good job.