What is the Torque on an Outstretched Arm with a 21.5 N Weight?

  • Thread starter Thread starter BuBbLeS01
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Arm Torque
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
BuBbLeS01
Messages
602
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A 21.5 N weight is held in the outstretched hand of a person with a shoulder-to-elbow length of 33.5 cm and an elbow-to-wrist length of 23.0 cm. The center of the weight is 6.5 cm from the person's wrist. Determine the magnitude of the torque about the elbow produced by the weight.


Homework Equations


T=rF


The Attempt at a Solution


T1 - Elbow
T2 - Wrist
T3 - Hand w/weight
T1D1 + T2(D1+D2) - T3(D1 + D2 + D3) = 0
T1 = -T2(.565m) + T3(.63)/.335

I know I am doing something wrong with the torques but I can't figure out what? I thought I just put in 21.5 N.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I forgot to mention that I put my center of torque at the shoulder