What is the TRIG.SOURCE button for?

• Thread starter M. next
  • Start date
In summary, the button on the oscilloscope is used to select the source of the trigger signal, which can be internal or external. It is typically used on a two-channel scope to choose between triggering from channel 1 or channel 2. The trigger signal is used to synchronize the horizontal sweep with the input waveform, but this is not necessary for creating lissajous figures in X-Y mode.
M. next
This button as I far was informed is located on the oscilloscope. What is it for (my experiment is frequency comparison to find Lissajous curves)?
How does it look like (I have never noticed it).

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
On any instrument (pulse generator, scope etc) with a trigger the trig.source switch selects the source.

The source of the trigger signal may be internal or external.

On a two channel scope the usual arrangement is for a button to select between triggering from ch1 and ch2.

The idea of the trigger is to run the sweep across the screen in synchronisation with the signal to get a good steady display. So the rising input waveform is arranged to start (trigger) the beginning of the horizontal sweep.

You do not want this for lissajous figures - you use the scope in X -Y mode for that.

Last edited:
Oh thanks :) That was helpful

1. What is the purpose of the TRIG.SOURCE button?

The TRIG.SOURCE button is used to select the source of the trigger signal for a scientific instrument or device. It allows the user to choose which input will be used to trigger the measurement or experiment.

2. How does the TRIG.SOURCE button work?

The TRIG.SOURCE button works by sending a signal to the triggering circuit of the instrument. This signal tells the instrument which input to use as the source for the trigger signal, allowing for precise control over the timing of the measurement or experiment.

3. Can I use any input as the trigger source?

It depends on the specific instrument and its capabilities. Some instruments may allow you to use any input as the trigger source, while others may have limitations or specific requirements for the trigger source.

4. What happens if I don't use the TRIG.SOURCE button?

If you do not specify a trigger source using the TRIG.SOURCE button, the instrument will default to a predetermined source or may not trigger at all. It is important to select the appropriate trigger source for accurate and reliable measurements.

5. Do all scientific instruments have a TRIG.SOURCE button?

No, not all scientific instruments have a TRIG.SOURCE button. It is typically found on instruments that require precise timing or synchronization for their measurements or experiments, such as oscilloscopes or function generators.