Powering My AC Mains Project with a Push-Button Timer

In summary: I have never worked with wall power before, but I think I could figure it out. After some research, this seems like the easiest solution. These things seem great! I have never worked with wall power before, but I think I could figure it out.
harrison1216
TL;DR Summary
Thread for controlling 110v power with a button/timer
Hello! I am trying to create a special kind of switch for a project I am working on and I am pretty stumped. Basically, I need to power a 110v fan and light for around 10 seconds with the push of a button, and then have them all turn off and be ready for another button push. My brain immediately went to relays and microcontrollers like Arduino, but I've never worked with wall power with those before. I was wondering if anyone had experience with something like this or if there were a few products that I could use together to consistently get this thing to work.
Thank you for your time!

Engineering news on Phys.org
harrison1216 said:
TL;DR Summary: Thread for controlling 110v power with a button/timer

Hello! I am trying to create a special kind of switch for a project I am working on and I am pretty stumped. Basically, I need to power a 110v fan and light for around 10 seconds with the push of a button, and then have them all turn off and be ready for another button push. My brain immediately went to relays and microcontrollers like Arduino, but I've never worked with wall power with those before. I was wondering if anyone had experience with something like this or if there were a few products that I could use together to consistently get this thing to work.
Thank you for your time!
Welcome to PF. :smile:

Can you say more about your project? 10 seconds seems like a really short time to run a fan. Can you just use one of the standard off-the-shelf AC Mains switch units (controlled with WiFi or BlueTooth or powerline comm or whatever) to do this?

Try looking up a Time Delay Relay. Many are adjustable.

Likes Windadct, berkeman, Lnewqban and 1 other person
berkeman said:
Welcome to PF. :smile:

Can you say more about your project? 10 seconds seems like a really short time to run a fan. Can you just use one of the standard off-the-shelf AC Mains switch units (controlled with WiFi or BlueTooth or powerline comm or whatever) to do this?
The fan would be to blow a fast stream like a hand dryer. I was thinking something like an air mattress blower

Tom.G said:
Try looking up a Time Delay Relay. Many are adjustable.
after some research, this seems like the easiest solution. These things seem great!

Likes berkeman and Tom.G

1. How does a push-button timer work?

A push-button timer is an electronic device that uses a button to control the flow of electricity to a specific circuit. When the button is pressed, the timer will start counting and once the set time has elapsed, it will turn off the circuit.

2. Can I use any type of push-button timer for my AC mains project?

No, it is important to use a push-button timer that is specifically designed for AC mains projects. Using the wrong type of timer can result in electrical hazards and damage to your project.

3. How do I connect the push-button timer to my AC mains project?

The push-button timer should be connected in series with the power source and the circuit. This means that the power source should be connected to the input of the timer, and the output of the timer should be connected to the circuit.

4. What is the maximum voltage and current rating for a push-button timer?

The maximum voltage and current rating can vary depending on the specific push-button timer, but most are designed to handle up to 250 volts and 10 amps. It is important to check the specifications of your timer before use to ensure it can handle the voltage and current of your project.

5. Can I adjust the time setting on a push-button timer?

Yes, most push-button timers have a time setting that can be adjusted to your desired duration. This can usually be done by turning a dial or pressing buttons on the timer. Refer to the instructions manual for your specific timer for more information on how to adjust the time setting.