What is the true meaning of area in integration?

• Thread starter Starrrrr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area
In summary, the conversation is about a mathematical problem involving integrals and the concept of area. The person is struggling with finding the correct answer and is seeking help. They are also advised to refer to a LaTeX tutorial for better communication of their equations and expressions.
Starrrrr
Member warned to include complete problem description and template
1. f_-2^{5} 1x-2dx.2. 1. f_a^{b}f(x)dx3. x^2/2 -2(x)|_-2^5
25/2-2(5)-(4/2-2(-2))=-7/2

What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Starrrrr said:
1. f_-2^{5} 1x-2dx.2. 1. f_a^{b}f(x)dx3. x^2/2 -2(x)|_-2^5
25/2-2(5)-(4/2-2(-2))=-7/2

What am I doing wrong?

What makes you think you have done something wrong?

Ray Vickson said:
When I put the answer to my online assignment thing it says incorrect

Ray Vickson said:
Allegedly the answer is 12.5 but I don't know how the computer got that

Mark44 said:
Please take some time to look at our LaTeX tutorial - https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/. Your post is just about incomprehensible.

So you must think more about the meaning of the word "area". Draw the graph of ##y = x-2, \: -2 \leq x \leq 5##. What are you actually computing when you calculate the integral ##\int_{-2}^5 (x-2) \, dx##?

Related to What is the true meaning of area in integration?

1. What is "Find the area of the region"?

"Find the area of the region" is a mathematical concept that involves calculating the size or extent of a specific geometric shape or region. It is often used in fields such as geometry, trigonometry, and calculus.

2. How do you find the area of a square or rectangle?

To find the area of a square or rectangle, you multiply the length of one side by the length of an adjacent side. For example, if a square has a side length of 5 units, the area would be 5 x 5 = 25 square units.

3. What formula is used to find the area of a triangle?

The formula for finding the area of a triangle is A = 1/2 x base x height. The base and height are perpendicular to each other and are measured in the same unit. For example, if a triangle has a base of 8 units and a height of 4 units, the area would be 1/2 x 8 x 4 = 16 square units.

4. Can you explain how to find the area of a circle?

The formula for finding the area of a circle is A = π x radius^2, where π is a mathematical constant approximately equal to 3.14 and radius is the distance from the center of the circle to its edge. For example, if a circle has a radius of 10 units, the area would be 3.14 x 10^2 = 314 square units.

5. What is the difference between finding the area of a regular shape versus an irregular shape?

Finding the area of a regular shape, such as a square, rectangle, or circle, is relatively straightforward and involves using a specific formula. On the other hand, finding the area of an irregular shape, such as a polygon or curved shape, may require breaking the shape into smaller, regular shapes and using different formulas or methods to find the total area.