What is the true meaning of area in integration?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Starrrrr
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Area
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
Starrrrr
Messages
38
Reaction score
2
Member warned to include complete problem description and template
1. f_-2^{5} 1x-2dx.2. 1. f_a^{b}f(x)dx3. x^2/2 -2(x)|_-2^5
25/2-2(5)-(4/2-2(-2))=-7/2

What am I doing wrong?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Starrrrr said:
1. f_-2^{5} 1x-2dx.2. 1. f_a^{b}f(x)dx3. x^2/2 -2(x)|_-2^5
25/2-2(5)-(4/2-2(-2))=-7/2

What am I doing wrong?

What makes you think you have done something wrong?
 
Ray Vickson said:
What makes you think you have done something wrong?
When I put the answer to my online assignment thing it says incorrect
 
Ray Vickson said:
What makes you think you have done something wrong?
Allegedly the answer is 12.5 but I don't know how the computer got that
 
Mark44 said:
Please take some time to look at our LaTeX tutorial - https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/. Your post is just about incomprehensible.

So you must think more about the meaning of the word "area". Draw the graph of ##y = x-2, \: -2 \leq x \leq 5##. What are you actually computing when you calculate the integral ##\int_{-2}^5 (x-2) \, dx##?