What Is the Value of f(12) Given These Function Conditions?

  • Thread starter Thread starter e^(i Pi)+1=0
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Analysis
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
e^(i Pi)+1=0
Messages
246
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement



f is a function defined on natural numbers such that

2f(n) * f(2n+1) = f(2n) *[2f(n) + 1] and

8f(n) > f(2n) > 4f(n)

Find value of f(12)

The Attempt at a Solution



[itex]f(n)=\frac{f(2n)}{2f(2n+1)-2f(2n)}[/itex]

[itex]f(12)=\frac{f(24)}{2f(25)-2f(24)}\frac{}{}[/itex]

2f(n) > f(n) so f(n) > 0 and f(2n) > 0

Because [itex]\frac{f(2n)}{2f(2n+1)-2f(2n)} > 0[/itex] and f(2n) > 0 we know that

f(2n+1) > f(2n) so [itex]f'(n) > 0[/itex]

Other than that, I have no idea. Math level: ODEs
 
Physics news on Phys.org
e^(i Pi)+1=0 said:

Homework Statement



f is a function defined on natural numbers such that

2f(n) * f(2n+1) = f(2n) *[2f(n) + 1] and

8f(n) > f(2n) > 4f(n)

Find value of f(12)

The Attempt at a Solution



[itex]f(n)=\frac{f(2n)}{2f(2n+1)-2f(2n)}[/itex]

[itex]f(12)=\frac{f(24)}{2f(25)-2f(24)}\frac{}{}[/itex]

2f(n) > f(n) so f(n) > 0 and f(2n) > 0

Because [itex]\frac{f(2n)}{2f(2n+1)-2f(2n)} > 0[/itex] and f(2n) > 0 we know that

f(2n+1) > f(2n) so [itex]f'(n) > 0[/itex]

Other than that, I have no idea. Math level: ODEs
Do you mean that the function f is given by ##f:\mathbb{N}\rightarrow\mathbb{R}##? If so, why are we using derivatives?
 
The problem is underspecified. I have a family of solutions with two partly arbitrary constants. Requiring f:N→N fixes one of them; knowing f(1) fixes the other. Whether there are other solutions, I don't know.