What is the value of the load resistor?

In summary, the conversation involves a new user asking for help with a problem and being reminded to show effort and specify units. The user then realizes the correct answer themselves and apologizes for their initial low effort post. A clarification is asked about the given information and the question is restated.
boxman
Homework Statement
The internal resistance of a high voltage power supply is 24 MΩ and the output is set so that the potential difference across the output when on open circuit is 4000 V? When a load resistor RL is connected across the supply the voltage across RL is 3000 V.

What is the value of the load resistor?
Relevant Equations
I am not sure what equation to use.
But I think the answer is 32, is it correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi @boxman and welcome to PF.
:welcome:
According to forum rules you must show at least an effort towards the answer. Perhaps you could explain what led you to think that the answer is 32 and not something else?

actually I rewatched the recording of the lecture and realized the answer was 72. But sorry about the low effort post its my first time using this forum and was unaware of the rules! :)

72? 72 what? Volts? Kilograms? Units do actually matter in the real world.

Likes SammyS
boxman said:
Homework Statement:: The internal resistance of a high voltage power supply is 24 MΩ
Are you sure about the 24 MΩ number? That does not look right.

1. What is a load resistor?

A load resistor is an electronic component that is used to limit the current flow in a circuit. It is typically used to dissipate excess power and prevent damage to other components in the circuit.

2. How is the value of the load resistor determined?

The value of the load resistor is determined by the amount of current that needs to be limited in the circuit. It is also influenced by the power rating of the resistor and the voltage across it.

3. What is the purpose of a load resistor?

The purpose of a load resistor is to maintain a stable current flow in a circuit and prevent damage to other components. It is commonly used in power supplies, amplifiers, and other electronic devices.

4. How does the value of the load resistor affect the circuit?

The value of the load resistor affects the circuit by determining the amount of current that can flow through it. A higher value resistor will limit the current more, while a lower value resistor will allow more current to flow.

5. Can I use any value of resistor as a load resistor?

No, the value of the load resistor must be carefully chosen to ensure that it can handle the power and current in the circuit without overheating or causing damage. It is important to consult a circuit diagram or use calculations to determine the appropriate value of the load resistor for a specific circuit.