What is the voltage across this capacitor, inductor and resistor?

In summary, In this voltage divider circuit, the combined resistance is found by taking the product of the resistances in series and then subtracting the reactances. The combined impedance is found by taking the product of the impedances in parallel and then subtracting the reactances.
Tesladude
Homework Statement
Circuit containing a 270ohm resistor in series with a 15uf capacitor 150mh inductor which are in paralell
Relevant Equations
what is the voltage across the capacitor?
what is the voltage across the inductor?
what is the voltage across the resistor?
I can solve for the questions in completely series or parallel circuits however having the capacitor and inductor in parallel while the resistor stays in series is stumping me completely.

Attachments

• Screenshot (1).png
    Screenshot (1).png
    26 KB · Views: 287
Physics news on Phys.org
You have a voltage divider with the resistor in series with the parallel LC.
How do you work out the combined resistance of two resistors parallel?
How do you work out the combined impedance of the L and C in parallel?
Remember that the impedance of a capacitor is negative and an inductor is positive.

It is helpful in these circuits to think of each these elements as a complex impedance:
Resistors: Z = R
Inductors: Z = jωL
Capacitors: Z = 1/(jωC)
( j = √-1, ω = 2πf )

Then solve this like you would for a resistor network, except the answer will be a complex number. For a problem like this, f = the frequency of the source. The magnitude of the complex result is the "amount" (Voltage, Current, etc.), the phase is the phase shift relative to whatever had zero phase in the problem statement, which is usually the source.

Thank you Dave,

At risk of sounding well understudied is there a way to solve this with simple algebra?
I was under the assumption there would be a variation on the existing equations used to find Z and X in simple RLC circuits which would eventually solve like a literal resistor network.
However after spending hours on this problem I am beginning to think I am in over my head, in all honesty I am not sure what to do with an imaginary number when it comes to circuits.

Baluncore said:
You have a voltage divider with the resistor in series with the parallel LC.
How do you work out the combined resistance of two resistors parallel?
How do you work out the combined impedance of the L and C in parallel?
Remember that the impedance of a capacitor is negative and an inductor is positive.

Combined resistance would be using 1/((1/R1)+(1/R2)) which as far as I know works with impedance just like it does resistance. The reactance of L would be (2*pi*f*L) and the reactance of C would be (1/(2*pi*C))
Giving me:

R=270
Xc=24.1
Xl=414.7

I could find the impedance of C and L by taking Xc+R or Xl+R however I cannot figure out how to do this when they are sharing R.

Tesladude said:
Xc=24.1
Xl=414.7
but you have forgotten that Xc is always negative;
so Xc and XL cancel to some extent.
Xp = 1 / ( 1/Xc + 1/XL )

Baluncore said:
but you have forgotten that Xc is always negative;
so Xc and XL cancel to some extent.
Xp = 1 / ( 1/Xc + 1/XL )
Yes Yes! ok so now
1/(1/-24.1 + 1/414.7)
Xp=-25.6
Therefore current through R is Ir = (270-25.6) = 244.4
That doesn't sound right...

Now you must consider that the same current flows through the Rs and Xp, so the voltage across the reactance is at 90 deg to the voltage across the resistance, and they sum to the applied voltage. Plot reactive Vx on the y axis, and resistive Vr along the x-axis. Scale it so the diagonal has length proportional to the applied voltage.

Tesladude said:
Combined resistance would be using 1/((1/R1)+(1/R2)) which as far as I know works with impedance just like it does resistance. The reactance of L would be (2*pi*f*L) and the reactance of C would be (1/(2*pi*C))
It's not quite so simple with impedances, unless you express them using complex numbers as in Dave's reply.

But for several reactances in parallel with no resistances involved, a rule holds which is similar to that for resistances in parallel.

In your case, ##\ \displaystyle X_\text{Eq.}=\frac{1}{\dfrac{1}{X_L}+\dfrac{1}{X_C}}
=\frac{X_L X_C}{X_L+X_C}\ \, \ ## as @Baluncore stated, Also, use ##X_C=\dfrac{-1}{\omega C} \ . ##

After that, be careful about how to add resistances and reactances in series.

Tesladude said:
Yes Yes! ok so now
1/(1/-24.1 + 1/414.7)
Xp=-25.6
Therefore current through R is Ir = (270-25.6) = 244.4
That doesn't sound right...
... because it's not right.

The current through R is the same as the current through the parallel combination represented by ##X_p##

But as @Baluncore states, the voltages are 90° out of phase.

Using the hint from your screenshot, but using Vp rather than VL − VC you have ## V = \sqrt{V_p^2 + V_R^2} ##.

This crudely gives ## V = ZI = \sqrt{(X_pI)^2 + (RI)^2} = I \sqrt{(X_p)^2 + (R)^2}##.

1. What is voltage?

Voltage is a measure of the potential energy difference between two points in an electrical circuit. It is typically measured in volts (V).

2. How is voltage measured in a capacitor?

The voltage across a capacitor is measured by connecting a voltmeter in parallel with the capacitor, which allows for an accurate reading of the potential difference between the two plates of the capacitor.

3. What is the voltage across an inductor?

The voltage across an inductor is determined by the rate of change of the current passing through it. When the current increases or decreases, the voltage across the inductor will also change.

4. How is voltage affected by a resistor?

Resistors limit the flow of current in a circuit, and this results in a voltage drop across the resistor. The amount of voltage drop is determined by the value of the resistor and the amount of current flowing through it.

5. What is the relationship between voltage and current in a circuit?

According to Ohm's Law, the voltage in a circuit is equal to the product of the current and the resistance. This means that an increase in voltage will result in an increase in current, and vice versa.