What is the wavelength of light used in Young's double-slit experiment?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Hannahj1
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Phyics Slit Wave
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Hannahj1
Messages
18
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement


A student performing Young's experiment with a single-colour source finds the
distance between the first and the seventh nodal lines to be 6.0 cm. The screen
is located 3.0 m from the two slits. The slit separation is 2.2 x 10^2 nanometres. Calculate
the wavelength of the light.

Homework Equations


x/L = wavelength/ d

The Attempt at a Solution


I found a solution online and they made the distance 2.2 x 10^-4 metres instead of 2.2 x 10^-7 if you do the conversion. I think they multiplied by something but i don't know why they would need to.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Dr. Courtney said:
The slit separation of 2.2 x 10^2 nanometres does not make any sense.
Why not? If you are referring to the practical limitation, we already have technology to fabricate sub-micro structure with a very good precision.
Hannahj1 said:
I found a solution online and they made the distance 2.2 x 10^-4 metres instead of 2.2 x 10^-7 if you do the conversion. I think they multiplied by something but i don't know why they would need to.
What number did you get using the original value of slit separation? I believe the number you got won't qualify to being called "light". Changing the slit separation by three orders of magnitude will make the wavelength lies in the visible region, which is in conform with the calling of the illuminating EM wave as light.
 
Last edited: