What is the work done by a hiker who is climbing up a hill

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 3K views
Weave
Messages
143
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A hiker of mass(m) climbs up a hill( the equation of the hill is f(x), what is the work done on the interval [a,b]

Homework Equations


[tex]W=\int_{a}^{b}F dx[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution


So for this problem I wanted to make sure. We would do:
Assuming Force is constant, we would have [tex]W=Fdelta x[/tex]
[tex]delta x[/tex] can be obtained from f(b)-f(a).
If the force is not constant we do
[tex]W=\int_{f(a)}^{f(b)}F dx[/tex]
Right?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is the elevation a function of x? Neglecting friction, work would just be [tex]mgdeltax[/tex]
 
I am not sure, my Prof. said that the equation is just the equation of the hill.
 
Shoudn't it be [tex]W=\int_{a}^{b}F dx[/tex]
instead of [tex]W=\int_{f(a)}^{f(b)}F dx[/tex]?
Because work is just area under the force-displacement graph.

I think, for x, x is the horizontal distance and f(x) is the vertical distance.
 
rootX said:
Shoudn't it be [tex]W=\int_{a}^{b}F dx[/tex]
instead of [tex]W=\int_{f(a)}^{f(b)}F dx[/tex]?
Because work is just area under the force-displacement graph.

I think, for x, x is the horizontal distance and f(x) is the vertical distance.
So how about the equation of the hill- f(x)?
 
Weave said:
So how about the equation of the hill- f(x)?

:shy:
I dunn know, I was just guesing
:cry:
 
My guess is that the force is constant. I would agree with turdferguson.
Work done depends only on the change in elevation.
So W=mg*delta x