What is this equation, and how do I start to tackle it?

• Thread starter CH3CH2OH
  • Start date
In summary, this homework problem asks you to find an equation that relates the modulus of a complex number, K, to the phase angle, β, and the cosine of the angle, θ. You are also asked to find an equation that relates the cosine of the angle, θ, to the modulus of the complex number, K.
CH3CH2OH
This is my first post. I've been checking back with this forum for years while studying, but I've got one that I truly cannot solve on my own because I don't know where to start...

Homework Statement

prove this is true.

L[itex]^{-1}[/itex]{[itex]\frac{K}{(s+\alpha-i\beta)^{r}}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{K^{*}}{(s+\alpha+i\beta)^{r}}[/itex]}=[itex]\frac{2|K|}{(r-1)!}[/itex]e[itex]^{-\alpha t}[/itex]cos(βt+[itex]\vartheta)[/itex]u(t)

Homework Equations

All I know is that K* has something to do with a modulus of K, and the information that cosine is acting on is the phase angle, possibly an arctan of two constants.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that there is an inverse laplace involved. I see the complex variables and know that may be where i get the trigonometric functions from. I am unfamiliar with K and Modulus of K, also phase angles. I am not sure where to take that from there. This was a challenge question posted in class. We were given no knowledge of what it relates to or what the name of the equation is, just that we should make an effort to prove it. We are given permission to solicit any resources available to us.
I am not looking for an outright proof, but some hints to move me in the right direction. This is beyond differential equations, but before graduate work level, i think...Also, the course work where this might be found is in either mathematics or engineering

Physics news on Phys.org
CH3CH2OH said:
This is my first post. I've been checking back with this forum for years while studying, but I've got one that I truly cannot solve on my own because I don't know where to start...

Homework Statement

prove this is true.

L[itex]^{-1}[/itex]{[itex]\frac{K}{(s+\alpha-i\beta)^{r}}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{K^{*}}{(s+\alpha+i\beta)^{r}}[/itex]}=[itex]\frac{2|K|}{(r-1)!}[/itex]e[itex]^{-\alpha t}[/itex]cos(βt+[itex]\vartheta)[/itex]u(t)

Homework Equations

All I know is that K* has something to do with a modulus of K, and the information that cosine is acting on is the phase angle, possibly an arctan of two constants.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that there is an inverse laplace involved. I see the complex variables and know that may be where i get the trigonometric functions from. I am unfamiliar with K and Modulus of K, also phase angles. I am not sure where to take that from there. This was a challenge question posted in class. We were given no knowledge of what it relates to or what the name of the equation is, just that we should make an effort to prove it. We are given permission to solicit any resources available to us.
I am not looking for an outright proof, but some hints to move me in the right direction. This is beyond differential equations, but before graduate work level, i think...Also, the course work where this might be found is in either mathematics or engineering

Assuming that ##\alpha## and ##\beta## are real, the two terms in the Laplace transform are complex conjugates of one another, because ##K^*## is the complex conjugate of ##K## (NOT the modulus of ##K##). Therefore, the whole inverse Laplace transform is twice the real part of the inverse transform of the first term. If you write ##K = u + i v##, with real ##u,v##, and if ##r## is a positive integer, you can write the result in the required form by using some standard trigonometric addition laws.

1. What is this equation and what does it represent?

The equation is a mathematical expression that relates different variables and their values. It represents a relationship between these variables and can be used to solve problems and make predictions.

2. What is the first step in solving this equation?

The first step is to identify the variables and their values. This will help determine which mathematical operations are needed to solve the equation.

3. How do I know which mathematical operations to use?

This depends on the type of equation and the variables involved. In general, you can use the order of operations (PEMDAS) to determine the sequence of operations, and then use algebraic rules and properties to simplify the equation.

4. What if I don't understand the equation or the variables involved?

If you are struggling to understand the equation, it's best to seek help from a teacher or tutor. They can explain the concepts and provide examples to help you better understand the equation. It's important to have a solid understanding of the equation before attempting to solve it.

5. Are there any tips or tricks for solving equations more efficiently?

Yes, there are various strategies that can help you solve equations more easily. Some of these include factoring, substitution, and graphing. It's also helpful to check your answer by plugging it back into the original equation to ensure it is correct.